Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

are there fuse for voltage instead of current?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not as such, because it's a parallel connection, not a serial one - the normal method is to use a 'crowbar' circuit, which shorts the supply out (and blows the fuse) in case of over voltage.

these are mov most of the time, they must be used with a fuse before or they will explode if overvoltage occurs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varistor

It depends on the amplitude of the voltage and the duration. Sure, if the incoming voltage is large enough, they can fry. But most of the time, MOVs can take a hit and be fine. They are better suited for transient protection rather than lighting if used by themselves.
I have not seen MOVs used as a crow-bar. In the traditional sense of the word, this is not so. You would use thyristor such as an SCR (along with the supporting cast of passives) for over-voltage protection.

Are there fuses that protect from higher voltages instead of higher currents?

Yes, surge protections

but these are mainly used in power distribution systems and more in industrial instalations that domestic ones

and always in combination with current protections

Robert-Jan

I think that it's better for me to specify: I need it little (max 1cm x 1cm x 0.5cm) and for low voltages/currents (5V - 2A must pass, 7V - 2A must not pass). What's best with this requisites?

I think that it's better for me to specify: I need it little (max 1cm x 1cm x 0.5cm) and for low voltages/currents (5V - 2A must pass, 7V - 2A must not pass). What's best with this requisites?

I was going to suggest an MOV, but your specs are too tight for that. It would help if you could provide a schematic or better specify your application.

As already posted use an overvoltage protection circuit, basically a comparator and a thyristor to cause the fuse to blow by shorting the supply voltage.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back