Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are there any online programs for building and experementing with circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

There are lots of online calculators for all sorts of things. I found a program once for designing 555 timer circuits but now I have lost the link.

There are lots of online calculators for all sorts of things. I found a program once for designing 555 timer circuits but now I have lost the link.

hi,
LTspice is a free download, it can simulate many types of circuits.

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/

I would advise you to join the Yahoo LTspice User Group for examples of circuits.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I second Eric's suggestion. LTspice can be a little difficult to learn, but it's the best way to experiment with, and learn all about how circuits operate without having to physically build them. Once you learn LTspice you will never want to build a circuit without simulating it first.

I would advise you to join the Yahoo LTspice User Group for examples of circuits.
**broken link removed**

Yes, but ...

I would add a cautionary note to that, Eric. I joined that group, and it does indeed have lots of material available to members, including circuit models and examples. However, don't try posting questions there asking for newbie advice. I made that mistake.

The prevailing attitude there seems to be "If you're an engineer using LTspice and you have a question about a circuit or model, fine. Otherwise, we can't be bothered helping you. Learn how to use the program, then come back here and ask questions."

So now I ask all my LTspice questions here instead.

(By the way, if you join that group, the easiest way to fund stuff in the folders is to use their expanded file lists which show the entire contents of the folder, rather than trying to browse through hundreds and hundreds of files.)

Last edited:
Yes, but ...

I would add a cautionary note to that, Eric. I joined that group, and it does indeed have lots of material available to members, including circuit models and examples. However, don't try posting questions there asking for newbie advice. I made that mistake.

The prevailing attitude there seems to be "If you're an engineer using LTspice and you have a question about a circuit or model, fine. Otherwise, we can't be bothered helping you. Learn how to use the program, then come back here and ask questions."

So now I ask all my LTspice questions here instead.

(By the way, if you join that group, the easiest way to fund stuff in the folders is to use their expanded file lists which show the entire contents of the folder, rather than trying to browse through hundreds and hundreds of files.)

It is interesting how every forum has its own personallity.

I am on several forums the rocket engine forum is like you mentioned most people have their nose in the air and refuse to reply to any questions by anyone. When someone asks a question the reply is usually, "We talked about that 3 years ago do a search for it."

A certain machinist forum the Moderator is a jerk from hell with an attitude he likes to bad mouth people and give people a hard time if someone gets smarts mouths back to him he bans them from the forum. Lots of members have dropped off this forum.

Another forum I am on the young guys all have an attitude and the old guys just lets them blow steam.

Another forum is all business if anyone says 1 word that is NOT on topic your post gets deleted and you get a warning, 3 warnings and your banned from the forum. A lot of members have left this forum too its just too borning.

The best forums are the ones where everyone is friendly, things stay on topic most of the time but a lot of friendly talk takes place too. Sometimes people start threads like, List your favorite CLEAN Joke, Pranks at Work, Should the toilet seat be up or down, My jerk neighbor calls code on me all the time, its all friendly and it is all fun. Life is short Smile and have FUN every day, the people with an attitude MIGHT learn that some day.

I had a circuit design program once it was a lot of fun to build things then run a test to see how well it works. Then I would sometimes build it. That software is more than 15 years old and only runs on the old computers so I can not use it anymore. There is probably something better now. Its been a long time since I have actually built any type electronic project I use to build things all the time. My electronic work bench has been collecting dust for a long time. I have not done any serious project in a while there are always small project like repairing something, resolder a wire, replace a transistor, etc. I like to buy old radios, old amps at yard sales and repair them. For a while I had a collection of old antique radios that I repaired they got to taking up too much space so I sold them all on ebay. I sold all the amps too. I have a large collection of good working speakers I would love to get rid of.

Last edited:
My experiencie

With one exception, my experience has been always good.

I have been using circuitmaker2000.
If you dig deep enough you may be able to find it or circuitmaker 6 student version (free).
It has some quirps but works great as it was one of the very first ones to come out and I still use it today.
Most everyone I know uses LTSpice maybe one day I will switch over but Circuitmaker has done everything I needed it to do for the last 18 years.
There is no support for it since they were bought out by Altium.

jer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back