Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are there any differences between a Diff. Amp and a current sense Amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

If So, what are they? I notice that right along side a current sense amp is a diff. amp in catalogs, So whats the difference? If Im just monitoring how much current Im using using a sense resistor, wouldnt a diff amp do just as good?

Ive been having trouble finding a current sense amp that has a Gain of 100 and is available in through hole form that Mouser sells. The reason for using mouser other than digikey is because I need a PIC18F1320 for a project, and I refuse to pay $5 for it at digikey when I can get it for Much Less at mouser.

Last edited:
They are similar but not identical.

A current sense amp is usually designed to monitor voltage across the current sense resistor at the rail while being powered by the rail. A diff amp will need to have a common-mode voltage range equal to the rail voltage to sense the rail current. Many do not.

To sense small voltages across the current resistor on the rail requires a high value of common-mode rejection to avoid offset errors in the measurement. Diff amps may not have sufficient rejection to keep this error at a reasonable value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back