Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are there AC Voltage Multiplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livan

Good day. New here.:). Just wanna know if there is a possible way to increase AC voltage, (aside from transformers). Since it possible for AC-DC multipliers.. Thank You.

Good day. New here.:). Just wanna know if there is a possible way to increase AC voltage, (aside from transformers). Since it possible for AC-DC multipliers.. Thank You.

Use a transformer, a transformer is usually by FAR the easiest and best solution.

The walton-cockcroft multiplier mentioned only provides a DC output.

Ooops...
A bit of brain fade there!
Nigel is correct, the Cockcroft-Walton does give out DC.

JimB

First, Welcome, Livan!

To answer your question, yes, it is possible.

But impractical due to inefficiencies and complexity.

Just wanna know if there is a possible way to increase AC voltage
An audio amplifier does exactly that.

I think this will all depend on what the OP needs the AC voltage for... You can get inverters in chip form to give you 120vac with about 20mA or so... Commonly used in CCFL backlighting..

Livan Tell us what its needed for!!!

First, Welcome, Livan!

To answer your question, yes, it is possible.

But impractical due to inefficiencies and complexity.

>>>by means of? Actually just know some AC things, I can connect/rewind electric motors and transformers, Electro-mechanical controls, some basic relays circuits, got some PLC/HMI b4 but I forgot already. Not that much in electronics, until just weeks of immersing in again for electronics assisting training. Before, I got easily confused with electronic circuitry, the PCB complex/weird circuitry. I mean it just stuck on my mind b4 that its not my type-sort of. And maybe I carried it. I guess some are too?:). Just want to know more & the pros & cons for references too. Comparing the AC-DC, AC-AC multipliers if there is. Thanks a lot.

If you will, please let me first ask you some basic questions. I do this since, of course, I have no idea of your current understanding of basic electrical theory, which as you no doubt realize, directly relates to electronics.

It is entirely OK to reference Google (or any other source) that you wish. I do, many times, every day.

Are you familiar with the difference(s) between AC and DC? If so, what is the primary difference?

Are you familiar with Voltage, Current, Resistance and how they interact?

Are you familiar with Ohm's law? If so, just as a quick test, solve for V if R=100ohms and I=1.5amps.

Are you familiar with Inductance? Capacitance? Can you give me an example use for each?

Thanks for being patient. As I am sure you understand, there's no point in going over stuff you already know.

If you will, please let me first ask you some basic questions. I do this since, of course, I have no idea of your current understanding of basic electrical theory, which as you no doubt realize, directly relates to electronics.

It is entirely OK to reference Google (or any other source) that you wish. I do, many times, every day.

Are you familiar with the difference(s) between AC and DC? If so, what is the primary difference?

Are you familiar with Voltage, Current, Resistance and how they interact?

Are you familiar with Ohm's law? If so, just as a quick test, solve for V if R=100ohms and I=1.5amps.

Are you familiar with Inductance? Capacitance? Can you give me an example use for each?

Thanks for being patient. As I am sure you understand, there's no point in going over stuff you already know.

.>>> yes bob. some basic. The not too complex.:). I just sort of having instant solution here. U know,you/people's the real/actual experiences of here really matters, not just the books. That's why I just kind of instantly wanted to find solution. Sort of. :). Thank you. Sorry late reps..just having a provincial trip. What about this resonance ckt. thing?

Liven,

In essence, if I understand what it is you're asking, in order to "multiply" an AC signal from, say 5VAC to 10VAC, without using a transformer (and NOT as a signal [audio, for instance]), the process (very simplified) could be accomplished as follows:

Stage 1. AC converted to DC (a standard rectifier ckt.)
Stage 2. DC multiplied (a standard DC multiplier ckt)
Stage 3. DC inverted to AC (a standard, non-transformer inverter ckt).

May sound simple and, relatively speaking, it is, but at each stage there is a cost, by which I mean that energy is expended (lost, more often than not as heat) in the process. As a result, power is lost, thereby reducing efficiency (ohm's law prevails) often by 1/2, depending on how the circuit is loaded.

And, just to muddy the waters, this description assumes the output to be a square wave and not meant for inductive loads (i.e., motors, etc.). For a sine wave output the circuit(s) would be considerably more complex and even less efficient as a result.

What about this resonance ckt. thing?
You can resonate an inductor with a capacitor at the lines frequency to increase the voltage. But that can give only a small amount of power with practical size components and the voltage would vary with the load. Also it does not provide isolation from the mains which is normally required for safety. So bottom line is, the resonance approach to increasing AC mains voltage is not generally practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back