Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are the inputs to microcontrollers high impedance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris414

This may be an obvious question but I just want to make sure - if I set a pin on my PIC18F2550 to be an input, does that pin automatically become a high impedance input? Ie. will I be able to connect the pin straight to the positive supply rail without fear of blowing the PIC?

This may be an obvious question but I just want to make sure - if I set a pin on my PIC18F2550 to be an input, does that pin automatically become a high impedance input? Ie. will I be able to connect the pin straight to the positive supply rail without fear of blowing the PIC?

hi Chris,
A PIC pin when set as an Input does have an high impedance, but do not connect any voltage greater than the +Vs supply the PIC's power rail, also no negative input voltage.

Do you have a specific question regarding a voltage you want to connect to the PIC.??

Thanks for the reply - no, I am only using 5V... I was just wondering whether I needed a "protecting" resistor to limit current to the PIC, but which obviously I dont need now since it's a high impedance input:)

You DO need a series resistor if the 5V that the input is connected to can be there when the PIC's VDD pin is not yet powered.

Last edited:
It's always good practice to use a limiting resistor is case the pin is accidentally set as an Output at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back