Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino Xbee Pro 2 wireless link - communications are too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Renner

Hey,

I am working on a project where I have a 2-axis joystick connected to an Arduino Duemilanove. I have a 10 second window at start up where I can calibrate the joystick between 255-0 and then I send 6 bytes of data (Start byte, Address Byte, Checksum Byte, Axis-1 Byte, Axis-2 Byte, Stop Byte). I am using the Xbee Pro 2 shield and Xbee Pro on top of the Arduino. I have the baud rate at 19,200 and the Xbee Pro on the first Arduino is configured as a "Coordinator AT". I have a second Arduino/Xbee set up where the second Xbee is configured as a "End unit"

I can monitor the position of the joystick but it is so slow! I would like the data to be received at least 4 times a second for precise control of a two motor robot. Currently, the transmitter (Coordinator Xbee) seems to just burst the information to the End Point Xbee. Yes, I know it seem redundant to send checksum, address bytes, etc....but I need to make very sure I get the right information.

I must be missing something about the Xbee setup. I assume the coordinator is looking for other units in my "Pod" and this is why it appears to burst the information.

Any help out there to get my transmission speed up?

Hey,

I am working on a project where I have a 2-axis joystick connected to an Arduino Duemilanove. I have a 10 second window at start up where I can calibrate the joystick between 255-0 and then I send 6 bytes of data (Start byte, Address Byte, Checksum Byte, Axis-1 Byte, Axis-2 Byte, Stop Byte). I am using the Xbee Pro 2 shield and Xbee Pro on top of the Arduino. I have the baud rate at 19,200 and the Xbee Pro on the first Arduino is configured as a "Coordinator AT". I have a second Arduino/Xbee set up where the second Xbee is configured as a "End unit"

I can monitor the position of the joystick but it is so slow! I would like the data to be received at least 4 times a second for precise control of a two motor robot. Currently, the transmitter (Coordinator Xbee) seems to just burst the information to the End Point Xbee. Yes, I know it seem redundant to send checksum, address bytes, etc....but I need to make very sure I get the right information.

I must be missing something about the Xbee setup. I assume the coordinator is looking for other units in my "Pod" and this is why it appears to burst the information.

Any help out there to get my transmission speed up?

Latency decreases with faster communication rate. I believe there is also a timeout and a byte size setting before the transmit buffer will attempt to empty. SO if the timeout is too long but you aren't sending enough bytes it will wait a while before it sends.

I just wonder about the common sense of someone who quotes the whole post which sits right above -ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back