Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino understanding passing data to functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I recently got a mp3 player shield, it has the vs1053 codec, similar to sparkfun's & adafruits.
I can play mp3's from an sd card, at first I put a file on the sd as per the tutorial called track001.mp3, that worked, then I put a sd card in with a load of music on and changed the track001 to wave/800hz and it worked, the mp3 file was in a folder on the sd called wave, and within the folder the track is called 800hz.
This is the library function to play a track copied from the .h file:

boolean startPlayingFile(const char *trackname);

So I tried this in my code

musicPlayer.startPlayingFile(inData)

Indata is a character string read in from serial, I presume this doesnt work as the original function has const char defined.

Sparkfun also does a library for this chip, but its really complex.

Thats the funny thing.
The Lib didnt like me passing it a string as in String, however when I redid the code and used a character array instead of a string it worked, I thought a string was a character array - with a null at the end.
All this without changing the header or ++ file.
I've just been reading sdfat docs, not something I really enjoy.

Anway whats with the new booze bottle I thought you like single malt not that treacle.

With embedded processors the Constant pointer can be cast to a ram pointer but not the reverse... So you have to change the function... With C++ you can overload the function and just copy it with a character function as the parameter... Define the new overload in the private section and you can then use both..

The Brandy was a Christmas gift from the wife... I like most liquids.... I love rum as well..

Yes I get that, never had it exactly like that before.

5 years now since I had any booze, I was never a big boozer, just packed it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back