Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino serial read

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
If I got this right:
If I have some data in the serial buffer, then I go serial.read the processor will read the first byte of data in the buffer, executing serial.read successive times reads the next byte and the next.
So there must be a pointer, is there a way I can reset said pointer to zero.
I want to mod some existing software and make it 'think' the serial buffer hasnt been messed with.

Can't you do
Code:
while(Serial.available())
      dummy = Serial.read();

Mike.
Edit, you can also do Serial.flush() to wait until the output buffer is empty. In an earlier version this also cleared the input buffer but not any more.

There isnt a function call to clear the pointer but there is an rxbuffer pointer in the .h file, but its a protected not a public variable.
There are several routines in my code that use serial, all copied & pasted from other programs I've bodged that only had one routine that looked at serial, pom's idea is a way to do it, use a dummy array for the incomming serial, only thing is I'd have to modify every function using serial, not the end of the world I spose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back