Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino Micro program upload problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboybob

Most Helpful Member
...Which are many. (This problem does not exist with the Uno.)

Oft discussed all over the net, but rife with, "and then, while holding the reset button, stick your finger in your eye while screaming

expletives and hit the upload button..." :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: (me, ten minutes ago).

The really sad part is that I've actually uploaded a few programs (out of 50 tries) but, no. one. method. has. worked. consistently.

Does anyone in this august group know of a definitive, repeatable method for uploading a program to the Micro (or the Leonardo - same ATmega32u4)??

Please :arghh:... I don't want to start drinking again.

Its all about the timing but I never used one but I bet if you don't plug it in till your ready to load it you'll have better luck.
And make sure you use the right driver for it.
It should load without hitting the reset button but you have to pick the board your using. If that don't work hold the reset hit upload as soon as the ide tells you its uploading let go of the reset button and it should load that way too.
If not you have to many virtual (CDC) serial / COM ports.
I've had that happen the com port would pop up com21 and the Ide wouldn't look for that port.

Thanks, be80be. I've tried that method and can't seem to get the timing of the reset release correct.

BTW, how does one determine if a com port is CDC? I'm going through a USB port and in "Manage" it's showing under COMs.

I can post more particulars, if you like. Also, though I wouldn't think it matters, the machine is running XT.

XP is bad for com port run off I've had it make 30 of them
Try this **broken link removed**

Bob:

When I was playing with the Due under Linux, the big issue is knowing what com port it's connected too. I was able to basically redirect the output of any file to the suspected com/tty port in Linux to get the light to blink. Now, you know you have the right port.

When I was using XP or Win 7 for stuff I had a program that would list a lot of info about USB ports. https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Finally got it. From the Arduino site, no less :woot:.

The ATmega32u4 Arduino machines use two (2) different serial drivers: one for comms (e.g.' the Serial Monitor feature) - listed as "Arduino Micro(COMx])" and one for program uploads - listed (in Device manager, but only one at a time) as "Arduino Micro BootLoader(COMx). COMx is the same for both. They switch with a Reset button push/release. After the upload process, the driver reverts to the comms driver.

I uninstalled the Micro's drivers, re-installed them and then, as per the above sites instructions:

1. Press & hold the Micro's "Reset" button
2. Hit the "Upload" button in the IDE
3. Wait for the status bar to change from "Compiling" to "Uploading"
4. Release the "Reset" button.

All is well :cool:.

See post #6.

Forgot to add:

5. Wait a few seconds and then hit the reset button once more.

This returns the COM1 port to the Arduino Micro driver. This then allows the "Serial Monitor" function of the IDE to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back