Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino I/O Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I don't want to go with a microcontroller, it appears the quickest path between point A and B will be by programming instead of hard wire dedicated circuits. So I am looking at the Arduino family of products as my path forward. Project #1 is I/O heavy. Using a micro, it appears I will need 3 inputs and 3 outputs per "station", and at least 8 stations. To start I need 24 inputs and 24 outputs, plus other functions that are required but have not been incorporated yet.

So my question is: Has any one developed an I/O expansion module for the Arduino to expand the amount of I/O that can be addressed by the chip? I have an idea forming, but would rather see if this has been done before and/or if there is a module available to do it before I roll my own.

As much as I don't want to go with a microcontroller, it appears the quickest path between point A and B will be by programming instead of hard wire dedicated circuits. So I am looking at the Arduino family of products as my path forward. Project #1 is I/O heavy. Using a micro, it appears I will need 3 inputs and 3 outputs per "station", and at least 8 stations. To start I need 24 inputs and 24 outputs, plus other functions that are required but have not been incorporated yet.

So my question is: Has any one developed an I/O expansion module for the Arduino to expand the amount of I/O that can be addressed by the chip? I have an idea forming, but would rather see if this has been done before and/or if there is a module available to do it before I roll my own.

Hello,

Once you get into microcontrollers you will wonder why the heck you did not get into these things sooner. That's all i can say because you dont realize the power in these things until you start using them. Then you'll never want to be without them. So much functionality in such a little package.

I once built a very nice controller with lots of memory and functionality, starting with a Z80 CPU. Using a decoder for i/o and stuff like that. That was an entire board though, measuring about 3 inches by 6 inches. Now i get almost the same functionality in a single DIP chip, and if i wanted to go SMD it would happen in a tiny package like 1/2 inch square or something. Minimum support components too. I only need a couple caps and good voltage reference for most of the stuff i do. The built in ADC is so darn nice it's almost too hard to design without it these days.

There's a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get past that you will never regret taking the time to learn this.

Hello,

Once you get into microcontrollers you will wonder why the heck you did not get into these things sooner. That's all i can say because you dont realize the power in these things until you start using them. Then you'll never want to be without them. So much functionality in such a little package.

I once built a very nice controller with lots of memory and functionality, starting with a Z80 CPU. Using a decoder for i/o and stuff like that. That was an entire board though, measuring about 3 inches by 6 inches. Now i get almost the same functionality in a single DIP chip, and if i wanted to go SMD it would happen in a tiny package like 1/2 inch square or something. Minimum support components too. I only need a couple caps and good voltage reference for most of the stuff i do. The built in ADC is so darn nice it's almost too hard to design without it these days.

There's a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get past that you will never regret taking the time to learn this.

I know how powerful they are. Notice I didn't say I haven't used them. Just that I was trying not to deal with H/W and S/W. I spent almost 10 years programming 8051s, Z80s, and PICs. Since I'm no longer in that industry, I don't have access to all the nice tools for troubleshooting ground-up design. I'm thinking of compromising by using an Arduino. I thought the circuit would be easy enough without a micro, but the discrete logic is taking to long to perfect and becoming too large of a circuit to work with all the functionality is added.

This is a I2C board. So the pins are I/O not I only or O only.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8130

Do we know if there is an example sketch out there for this shield? The code I found so far would need to be ported into an Arduino sketch.

SPI 8 outputs using 74HC595 (I think they have a 8 in board but I can't find it)
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10680

I would (now) be interested in a SPI 8 Input chip. Anyone know the number? (looks like neither Ron nor I can find it)

Going the micro way will un-complicate the pcb however there are more things to investigate, what size of code is expected and what language , what speed MIPS , what power requirements. what about alternate pin selection
as an example I have a PIC24EP512GU810 on a breakout board , 70MIPS 51 I/O pins host of peripherals would do your project , nothing else required. not even a xtal !

Similar commercial part https://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=5283

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back