Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arbitrary Charge Pump IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I am looking for an IC that combines two push-pull outputs (two half-bridges) with their respective gate drivers, and a self-oscillator to automatically drive both outputs in a complimentary fashion. Basically an IC that would allow me to make a Dickson Charge Pump that could provide at least 30mA that would be capable of supporting an arbitrary voltage multiplication factor by adding in as many diodes and caps as needed:

**broken link removed**
Figure 4

Or a voltage quadruplier IC...I don't have space to fit in a discrete solution and the closest thing I found was the LTC1263. But it would provide *just* enough voltage and a few more volts would be preferable.

Last edited:
That's actually kind of the catch-22. I need the voltage to power a similar gate driver (just one that's not self oscillating). THe IRS2186 to be specific.

HOwever, from what you say, wouldn't I need dual low-side drivers rather than a high-side/low-side pair?

Maybe this?
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/03/tps2811.pdf
No oscillator though...it's also too bad all the gate drivers use BJTs on the output stage so you lose 1V pulling high and another 1V pulling low. Doesn't matter too much for gate drive. Does for a charge pump.

Last edited:
HOwever, from what you say, wouldn't I need dual low-side drivers rather than a high-side/low-side pair?
Yes. But I was thinking of using the high-side of the pair as another low-side output. ie: Get rid of the bootstrap cap, connect Vb to Vcc and Vs to COM. Looks like it might work according to the Functional Block Diagram for the IR2153. You would have to experiment to confirm as there is no complete diagram of the internals.
One question though. Why can't you use a standard boost converter IC to provide the higher voltage?

THe boost converters seem to have many more parts than that one original charge pump so far. The added complexity over that LT1263 isn't worth it mainly because of the feedback circuits involved. I'm just trying to see if there is something out there that's better.

What I would ideally like is a 5-30V input 15-20V output switche dcapacitor charge pump, but I'm fairly sure those don't exist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back