Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Applications of FM other than Radio broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

siyom

What are some applications of Frequency Modulation other than Radio broadcast?
I'm looking for something that I can implement on my DSP board.I already have an FM algorithm,just looking to add a bit of complexity.For example can I use in some it to demodulate some arbitrary sound wave?

FM synthesisers where popular in 80's pop music, although they where notoriously hard to control (in terms of getting a consonant "musical" tone from them).
I'm not sure if it's a period of popular culture that we should be keen to re-create though...

You might also like to try your hand at wired data transmission, modem-style.

I was going to build an FM radio using a DSP board,but now because I cannot build a front end section in time I need something that'l add more complexity to make up for not having built a front end section.So it must be within the lines of demodulation.Like what happens when I demodulate a normal wav file,with FM.what about AM

I was going to build an FM radio using a DSP board,but

Do you have two DSP boards?
One board can make the "FM signal" at 100khz or something low frequency. The other board will decode the signal. Connect the two boards with a pair of wires. or coax.
It does not have to be 100khz just something slow that your DSP can handle. This way there is no RF front end.

You can state in you paper that with a up-converter the 100khz can be 1000mhz and then on the receiver end a down-converter will bring it back to 100khz. Because this is a DSP project not a RF-analog project you did not do the RF part.

If your "RF" is only 100khz you can send audio but you will need to limit the high frequencies in the audio. Limit you audio to the bandwidth in a telephone signal.

Good idea Ron Simpson,thanks.
There is an older version of the Texas Instruments DSK board that I can use.Just need to get my supervisor to approve the change.Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back