Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone use MPLAB ICD2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2camjohn

I have just started using an ICD2 programmer.

I have followed the tutorials and got to the point where everything is beng detected by MPLAB including a PIC16f648a that is in the development board.

MPLAB is setup to use ICD2 but with debugging disabled.

My problem is, I cant get it to program a hex file.
I have gone to file->import-> selected the location of my (known to be working) hex file, so that it shows up in the window and on the project (under other files).

When I click program, it reports a success but just programs a blank file to the microcontroller. The microcontroller shows no life, and reading back the program gives all 1s.
It passes the verify tests also, which indicates to me that its not trying to program the file I imported, but it is successfully programming a blank file.

If anyone can offer any help on this, I would really appreciate it.

John

What's with this "import" stuff guys? I don't import anything. I simply build the project and tell it to program the device. Am I missing out on a different way to use the ICD2? Am I a dummy for never having read the instructions (grin)?

Mike

OK Guys thanks for the information.

Your ease of success prompted me to write a hello world (flashing LED) application and that programs fine.

The programmer wasnt programming a blank file as I first thought. I was just being dumb.

However that leaves a problem with my original hex fille.

When programmed with Nigels Winpicprog, it works great.
When programmed with MPLAB it doesnt show any life.

Can anyone help on that one? The only difference between the two, except for complexity would be that the hello world program has no interrupt routines.

(note both the helloworld application and the program I tested initially were burnt onto the same 648a chip and tested in both the development board and the final application hardware)

Try my 16F628 sample file (adjust conf. bits for the A version)
16F628 and 16F648 are code compatible

That file should help you to determine what are you doing wrong.

Jay.slovak said:
Mike, so how do you burn a HEX file (without having source ASM) ?

I always have the project open and the source file right there. I didn't realize you could do it differently. Oops!

Hi,
Yes for those tools which don't work with MP Lab (and there are several) or if you wish to do your build in another environment, you can import the file into MP Lab, and use the ICD2 from there.
I didn't realize you could do it differently.
Microchip has given us wonderful tools!
Regards,
Robert

If you have a .HEX file and no source or assemble/compile from a non-MPLAB environment, you can import the .HEX and burn your chip with the MPLABS software.

Reg Icd 2

2camjohn said:
I have just started using an ICD2 programmer.

I have followed the tutorials and got to the point where everything is beng detected by MPLAB including a PIC16f648a that is in the development board.

MPLAB is setup to use ICD2 but with debugging disabled.

My problem is, I cant get it to program a hex file.
I have gone to file->import-> selected the location of my (known to be working) hex file, so that it shows up in the window and on the project (under other files).

When I click program, it reports a success but just programs a blank file to the microcontroller. The microcontroller shows no life, and reading back the program gives all 1s.
It passes the verify tests also, which indicates to me that its not trying to program the file I imported, but it is successfully programming a blank file.

If anyone can offer any help on this, I would really appreciate it.

John

Hi,

You have been using the ICD 2, U could not program the proper hex file.Are u able to debug it?

Rehards,
Sudha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back