Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone use Eagle board creation software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicksan

I just downloaded it for Linux and I am looking it over right now.
Heres the link. It looks like theres a demo version and a pay for version.

Yes, it's very popular. The free version has some limitations. The board area is limited to 100x80 mm, for example.
You can find good tutorials, if you try a search on Google.

It is probably the best freeware out there. I use Mentor Graphics PADS at work, but have thought about getting the non-profit license of Eagle for hobby use (going up to work to use their stuff feels to much like work at times, and if I change jobs I don't really want to lose all my schematics and board designs).

Anyway, whatever you do make sure you start from a schematic and then take that to the board to start your layout. One nice thing about Eagle is the extensive part libraries it already comes with.

There are others out there including some proprietary ones where they give you the software free but you have to use them for board manufacturing. Those can be good too depending on your needs. Others are probably more familiar with those so I will let them chime in. A professor I had in college used one of those for his embedded systems class and was happy with them. I'll try to remember the name, I think you had to order 4 boards or something like that.

I started with the board first, lol, then realized its easier to do the schematic.
Some of the components seem a little odd or maybe I dont know why they are layed out that way, like the 555 pinout is not the same as the actual chip.
If I can make simple circuits, print them out and be able to make a board this is just what I was looking for.

Nicksan said:
Some of the components seem a little odd or maybe I dont know why they are layed out that way, like the 555 pinout is not the same as the actual chip.

The pin layout of components is not supposed to be the same as the actual chip when using the schematic editor of EAGLE. Don't worry, when you'll switch to the board editor the pin layout of the 555 will look familiar :)

Oh, I am trying to input a schematic from a book and and having a hard time because the pinouts are different. Ill have to read up on Eagle and get accustomed to how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back