Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone know where to get this - temperature controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie8311

Has anyone seen a device like this?

It's the black box connected to the crock pot. It's some kind of temperature controller. I am wondering if anyone has seen one this price range that works like this.

He says he got his for $130. I don't know if new or used. I am guessing new.

YouTube - Sous-vide at Walter's

Last edited:
I just want to buy one of those temp controllers.. though I am wondering if I need to or if this setup with a thermometer would work as well..

The Crock-O-Stat

But I am thinking of using this for heating oil rather than water.. if it will work.. and I would need to go above 300 degrees F.

There is no temperature sensor in the Crock-O-Stat. It's more like a drill speed controller.
Ebay has a few temperature controllers.
Sous-Vide is very interesting, it also needs very accurate temperature control according to the articles on the web. 1C accuracy.

I am actually thinking of using this setup to "sous vide" a sculpting material that you normally bake to cure..

someone mentioned they boiled it and it worked very well. But you are supposed to cook it to 300+ degrees.. but water boils at a lower temp. So I was thinking maybe you could seal the sculpting material and boil in oil to reach a higher temp.

See.. when you bake it it dries out the outside and causes cracking.. boiling prevents this.

Last edited:
Neat. I'll keep my eyes open for sucha device. Although I'd be interested in the food stuff. A waterproof stainless steel thermocouple probe will be imporatant. Perhaps I can canibal one from a digital turkey thermometer.

Do you think you could retrofit a better thermometer into one of these?

The only problem with this for my purposes is that I don't think the bucket is big enough for sculpts, though you do cut sculpts up when molding and casting them. But I think I would need more room than this..

Great idea, Ken! That thing looks really cool. I don't see why you couldn't put oil in there.

One thing I am wondering about though is if you could put the sculpts in a plastic bag and it could handle temps up to 300 degrees +. Seems like there are high temp plastics though.

Last edited:
Turkey roasting bags should handle the temp.

Ken

Last edited:
Good thing I was cooking our Thanksgiving turkey in one of these roasters, or I might not have thought of it. Also, I had considered doing it in one of the high temp roasting bags, but decided not to. So, a little serendipitous good information for you.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back