Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone know where to get a 2N388A NPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

I need a few, (5) 2N388A NPN Germanium Transistors with a HFE of about 80

I'm building an audio circuit and i have only found one supply but its pricey.

I really only need one but i have seen a few projects that use it transistor and would like to stock up on a few if they are this hard to find.

**broken link removed**

(building the bottom circuit.)

if anyone knows where i can get this transistor or even something to use in its place let me know, thanks.

Unfortunately, germanium transistors are rare and as such expensive. They are not often needed; with guitar effects being the only application I know of (possibly some radio circuits?). So, you may have to buy from the expensive place you have seen them, but 5 should be plenty. I expect you have checked ebay, though I doubt there are any there.

One other way to get some is to buy garage sale radios, especially portables from the way-back machine. Many of them will have several germaniums in them, often matched pairs in fact.

NTE101 is supposedly a cross for this also. You can likely get a NTE part in lots of places. Ugly prices though, still in the 5 buck range.

Do a search of the stomp-box pages and you will see many substitutes for the germaniums.

The HFE of transistors is a range like from 40 to 160. Some transistors have a letter suffix that indicates a tighter range.
Here is a list of European germanium transistors. Note that N polarity is NPN and P is PNP.

Attachments

• European Germanium.pdf
    330.1 KB · Views: 359
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back