Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone know what this part is

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I am attempting to repair an emergency light. Why as they are so cheap? I have many of them with the same problem. If I can repair one, I can repar many more. And they are a weord size where wallpaper has been cut around them, and painters have painted around them :)

I have tested all the descretes, the relay. All checks good.

It has a T106Y41 on it. I have no tested that (it is about all that is left).

Does anyone have the pinout or know what it is? If I search for it, it is all over for sale, and no spec sheets that I have found so far.

Thanks.. And Happy New Year.....

mramos1 said:
I am attempting to repair an emergency light. Why as they are so cheap? I have many of them with the same problem. If I can repair one, I can repar many more. And they are a weord size where wallpaper has been cut around them, and painters have painted around them :)

I have tested all the descretes, the relay. All checks good.

It has a T106Y41 on it. I have no tested that (it is about all that is left).

Does anyone have the pinout or know what it is? If I search for it, it is all over for sale, and no spec sheets that I have found so far.

Thanks.. And Happy New Year.....

I am not sure but you can chek the following:

https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/26282/VISAY/BYT106-1300.html

perhaps it is a Fast Recovery Silicon Power Rectifier
anyway a pic would help as Nigel said

So, If this part has only Two Leads, its probably a Diode.
If it has 3 leads, its probably an SCR.

My Guess from what I found in my search is its an SCR.
(Possibly simular to a tIC106B)

fingaz said:
Found this if it's any help. . .

Part Number: T106Y41
Desc: Sen Scr 30V 4A 200µA TO202

https://www.datasheets.org.uk/specsheet.php?part=T106Y4

Last edited:
chemelec said:
So, If this part has only Two Leads, its probably a Diode.
If it has 3 leads, its probably an SCR.

My Guess from what I found in my search is its an SCR.
(Possibly simular to a tIC106B)

Yes, it is looking like an SCR (3 pins and a TAB that is the center pin). I will see how it comes into play.

The battery charge circuit is charging, the test button fires the relay. I will have to see what the SCRs part is. I ran out of playtime, had to install a washer and dryer for the wife. But tomorrow I will give it one more go and worse case tell the boss "$20 and you can but a new one". We can put a larger back plate to cover the wall paper :)

Thanks to all for the help. Would have never though an SCR but I bet that is it.

Assuming that the batteries are good (that was my first guess when you said "many have the same problem"), there is likely some sort of design flaw. Replacing the failed component will probably not resolve the design flaw. Unless you can figure out the flaw, it makes more sense to get new ones. Emergency gear needs to have very high reliability.

edit: new ones == new units of a different design!

Unfortunately, from the price he quoted, the new ones don't sound like they will be any better? - the influx of cheap junk from China has killed off better quality products in many applications!.

These are old US units (not 100%, nothing is).

The $20 one will be China and be disposable I am sure. Our electrical people told me it was a waste of time for the $20 to replace them (now add the price for the electrician), but I thought I would try to save wallpaper work as well (since they have a larger base) and it is an entire floor of them that most seem to all have the same problem. And a good friend is the owner.

I did not mention they are all from 1 floor of the building that is being re-built for a new tenant..

Well, I went through all I could and it should be working far as the descretes, but no output to drive it. Then I though, like the obvious battery (Philba) what would be another easy thing to check (I did not check them as there are two and what are the chances). Bad bulbs.

Turned out both bulbs are shot. Shorted no less not open.

My thought on this is maybe they killed power to that floor when the old tenant left and the units cut on and burned out the bulbs and kill the batteries. Not sure why the bulbs shorted but I will check a couple more tomorrow when I (sniff) return to work from the holiday.

philba said:
Assuming that the batteries are good (that was my first guess when you said "many have the same problem"), there is likely some sort of design flaw. Replacing the failed component will probably not resolve the design flaw. Unless you can figure out the flaw, it makes more sense to get new ones. Emergency gear needs to have very high reliability.

edit: new ones == new units of a different design!

If it is a Design Flaw and I had these devices, My personal challange would be to trace out the circuit and Find the Flaw. More than likely it is just an Under-Rated Part.

Than correct it so it doesn't happen again.

Other than Time, (Which can be Fun and Educational) the actual Repair or modifications, probably costs less than the cost of new units that may be no better.

Years ago, Working at Sears, There was one particular product. Every one had a the same Tantalum Capacitor put in Backwards. Only running at a Low Voltage, it would last a few months, than Short out. Once I found the problem (one hours work), the replacement was Quick and cheap, compared to buying a new one.

Well that my 2 cents worth.
Seasons Greetings.....Gary

Hi mramos1. I am searching for information on the T106Y41 device also, and for the same reason as you were. My question is - did you ever find data on this device? If so, please tell me where to find it.
Thanks,
Twidget

It is a TIC106 SCR. All Rated at 5 Amps, but there are Different Voltage ratings on these. Such as a TIC106B, TIC106C and TIC106D.
For your Charger, Anyone will do.
I suspect the Y41 was just the Lot Number.

I can supply you with the TIC106D, if wanted. (Prime factory Part, at $1.00, plus the shipping Cost.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back