Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone know what this Instrument is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

I found this in Surplus and want to know if I can use this to Generate Signals for Testing purposes with pics and or Scope, generally what can I do with it.

I'm guessing from all the other equipment that was in the same vicinity, old Network Analyzers that it was used in conjunction to diagnose Networks.

Thanks to any responders.

kv

Sweep Oscillator 1.JPG

I found this in Surplus and want to know if I can use this to Generate Signals for Testing purposes with pics and or Scope, generally what can I do with it.

I'm guessing from all the other equipment that was in the same vicinity, old Network Analyzers that it was used in conjunction to diagnose Networks.

Thanks to any responders.

kv

View attachment 83715

I googled it: **broken link removed**

Very nice, it would look well on my bench.

However the lowest frequency it will generate is 3Mhz (according to the link from camerart), so it may be a bit high in frequency for what you want.

On edit
Just read a bit more about this sweeper, the frequency range depends on the plug-in unit at the right hand side of the chassis. Without looking at that it is impossible to know the frequency range.

JimB

Last edited:
Wow, been a long time. You can find the manual here. You have the mainframe unit, does it have a plug in installed? In their day they were a heck of a unit. The swept spectrum depends on the installed plug in unit. During my microwave days we used them to sweep attenuators for calibration checks.

Ron

Ok.

Thanks for the reply's I'll see if it has the Plug in unit.

kv

Nice find, hp test gear is generally very good quality.
You might be able to fabricate some plug in modules if they arent too complex.

So, here is what I found.

Attachments

• Plugin Unit Front.JPG
    Plugin Unit Front.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Pluggin Unit.JPG
    Pluggin Unit.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Other Stuff.JPG
    Other Stuff.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 181
10Mhz to 2.4 Ghz frequency range, as indicated at the top left hand side of the plug-in front panel.

JimB

10Mhz to 2.4 Ghz frequency range, as indicated at the top left hand side of the plug-in front panel.

JimB

There are 2 of these. I didn't notice if the other one is the same, most likely it is.

Thanks, Jim

kv

I dont think those modules would be easy to build!, silly idea of mine.

Markers are there so you can pinpoint a particular frequency on a 'scope trace.

That would be a usefull instrument if it was a lower freq range, theres a slim chance you'll find someone who'll do a module swap.

I dont think those modules would be easy to build!, silly idea of mine.

Markers are there so you can pinpoint a particular frequency on a 'scope trace.

That would be a usefull instrument if it was a lower freq range, theres a slim chance you'll find someone who'll do a module swap.

d/p, I wouldn't even think about it. However, maybe later on I may take on the challenge to do a ZVS Plasma Speaker like you said,

...here in a another Thread; back sometime ago, that's if I can get Rodalco's Circuit going.

Zvs is an effective method, however modulating a zvs requires a few tricks, I'd be interested to see such a circuit.

Thanks, dr pepper.

Thanks for you help everyone.

kv

All you need is more accessories. :)

Those units were the gold standard of their day. The large 50 pin connector is a HPIB (Hewlette Packard Interface Bus) which allowed connection to a computer. The manual I linked to covers the HP Basic commands that were used. The manual also covers the pin out of the connector. Just before I retired we trashed dozens of those old HP cables and adapters. Years ago I gave away a detector kit that was used with those units. If you come across an old graphics plotter (paper) the sweep out is 0 to 10 VDC as I recall. Hell with the plug in that is installed you have yourself a pretty cool signal generator. :)

Ron

Hell with the plug in that is installed you have yourself a pretty cool signal generator. :)

Ron

That's what I was after, I thought it would be fun to do experimental circuits on the audio and maybe Plasma Speaker would be fun to look at on my O-Scope and such. But, from what Jim is saying and dr pepper it may not offer that for me? I think I might be able to get it for for around $10. Because nobody knows what it is and the Network IT guys don't need it anymore.

Providing that is what this thing does; help Analyze Networks.

It certainly looks cool and I thought maybe, but now I don't know? I'm sure you, Jim and dr pepper would have some fun with it though. :D

Thank you, Ron

kv

Its worth more than 10$, just because it can go to microwave freq's.

I did have some ideas on modulating a royer circuit, something along the lines of halting oscillation at zero cross, the circuit sort of allready does this with 2 diodes, if you time it right you can stop the oscillation at zero cross, and modulate the length of time its stopped for, with a high switching freq you'll be able to produce audio modulation, I think, its a bit early in the morning here to think that hard.

KV, somewhere around here I have an old HP 200 CD audio oscillator. These things were beast in that they gave good output power. Let me look around and if I have it and you want it it's yours for the asking. The old HP 200 series used vacuum tubes and a wein bridge oscillator circuit for very good low distortion 20 - 20 KHz audio frequencies out. This thing would drive the ringer on the old telephones. :) I know it has to be here somewhere. Odds are I never use it as I haven't used it in 20 years. This is what they are.

Ron

So, this is the other Sweep Oscillator. .01-2.4Ghz (Plug-in 86228)

Attachments

• Sweep .01-2.4 Ghz.JPG
    Sweep .01-2.4 Ghz.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 161
Here are some of the other things I found that may amuse someone.....just for fun.

Attachments

• Sencore TV Scope.JPG
    Sencore TV Scope.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 155
  • I have not idea.JPG
    I have not idea.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Paddles.JPG
    Paddles.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 171
The center image is a TS 510 Sig Gen. Gawd, this is like a trip down memory lane for me. The TS 510 was made under government contract by several manufacturers, they were a very good sig gen. The TS 510 support manuals can be found here in pdf formats.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back