Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anyone know of some good PCB design software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzoomed

:) Im looking for some software that can print out nice, clear 1 layer overlays for UV exposure, it it can export to jpeg, that would be good, too, i havnt as of yet found anything useful, they all seem to be really advanced, more for pcb manafacure, rather than the hobbyst

Everything exports to pdf. Just install PrimoPDF; it's just like any printer except that it creates a pdf file. There are other programs too.

No they don't .........

blueroomelectronics said:
I use Sprint Layout for my designs. Everyone else here uses Eagle.

I have been tooting the horn here for a couple of years about the free ExpressPCB! Were have you been?

One more time...........

nzoomed said:
:) Im looking for some software that can print out nice, clear 1 layer overlays for UV exposure, it it can export to jpeg, that would be good, too, i havnt as of yet found anything useful, they all seem to be really advanced, more for pcb manafacure, rather than the hobbyst

The free ExpressPCB exports to DXF, Bitmap, and Metafile. I have used for a couple of years to make my toner transfer on Press-N-Peel with excellent results. I guess you just need to print on acetate.
ExpressPCB don't have as steep a learning curve as Eagle and is much more user friendly.

Are Sprint Layout and ExpressPCB the same program? I tried ExpressPCB about 4 years ago and found it pretty useless due to the lack of schematic capture. Has it now got the schematic part?

Mike.

Pommie,

I think you must be thinking of another PCB program. ExpressPCB has always had schematic capture are far as I know. I've used it for years. It doesn't have a router, but the PCB program does "link" to the schematic program and show net list connections as you route the traces. I always make small PCB's and found that I can almost always do better routing than Eagle' programs. A personal "thing"...I don't like the appearance of Eagles schematics...too many distracting details...OK when developing, but ugly for presentation. But, that's just me. ;)

Ken

Pommie said:
Are Sprint Layout and ExpressPCB the same program? I tried ExpressPCB about 4 years ago and found it pretty useless due to the lack of schematic capture. Has it now got the schematic part?

Mike.

No they are not the same program!!!!
ExpreswsPCB have ExpressSCH for their schmatic capture but I have little experience with the use of it because my fairly simple designs. The program is being updated from time to time and the developers even answers questions (at least they have for me) and takes suggestions.

KMoffett said:
Pommie,

I think you must be thinking of another PCB program. ExpressPCB has always had schematic capture are far as I know. I've used it for years. It doesn't have a router, but the PCB program does "link" to the schematic program and show net list connections as you route the traces. I always make small PCB's and found that I can almost always do better routing than Eagle' programs. A personal "thing"...I don't like the appearance of Eagles schematics...too many distracting details...OK when developing, but ugly for presentation. But, that's just me. ;)

Ken

Maybe I'll give ExpressPCB another go then. I like Eagle but tend to manually route most of the board and then let the autorouter do the "around the houses" traces. I agree, the schematics are a bit ugly.

Edit, We are talking about the free board design software from the board manufacturers ExpressPCB aren't we?

Mike.

Last edited:
Soapbox

It is good of Cadsoft to provide a free program as powerful as Eagle. I think we all agree that Eagle is a complex program and it could have a better UI. They are working on that.

Most gripes I have heard about it here are nonsense. If you do not to use it, for whatever reason, I can understand that. It is wrong for people who do not use it for layout to tell others how bad they think it is. Their view of what it can and can not do is flawed. Trying it once or twice is not enough experiance to learn much anything about it.

KMoffett said:
Pommie,
...I don't like the appearance of Eagles schematics...too many distracting details...OK when developing, but ugly for presentation. But, that's just me. ;)
Ken
With eagle you can turn schematic details on and off. The most useful ones are nets, buses, pins, names, and values.

3v0 said:
It is good of Cadsoft to provide a free program as powerful as Eagle. I think we all agree that Eagle is a complex program and it could have a better UI. They are working on that.

Most gripes I have heard about it here are nonsense. If you do not to use it, for whatever reason, I can understand that. It is wrong for people who do not use it for layout to tell others how bad they think it is. Their view of what it can and can not do is flawed. Trying it once or twice is not enough experiance to learn much anything about it.

With eagle you can turn schematic details on and off. The most useful ones are nets, buses, pins, names, and values.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Mike.

3v0 said:
{snip}
{snip}
QUOTE]

I don't know what you are talking about, I have not seen or posted any other comments about Eagle other than it has a steep learning curve and a cumbersome interface.
I am not in the habit of torturing myself using programs like that, when there are others with a conventional interface that suit my purpose just as well.

Rolf said:
I don't know what you are talking about, I have not seen or posted any other comments about Eagle other than it has a steep learning curve and a cumbersome interface.
I am not in the habit of torturing myself using programs like that, when there are others with a conventional interface that suit my purpose just as well.

The general tone of the people who do use Eagle makes it sound like it is much more difficult to learn than it is.

Do not recall the thread but I was helping someone, maybe cry_wolf", who was learning Eagle. Another member came in, said Eagle is too hard to use, use mine. Then there was the flap about the parts libraries are ordered. All that happened in the last day or two.

We all like to use what we know how to use. If I had listened to what is said here I would never have tried Eagle.

But it is a free country and you has just as much right to say your say as I do mine.

EDIT:
Rolph said:
You picked the wrong program. With ExpressPCB the all components are listed alphabetical and the resistors are labeled by wattage and pin spacing.
Capacitors are grouped by electrolytic and non polarized, etc. So if you know the common name and the pin spacing you are all set.
Try it you will like it and it is free.
Thanks for reminding me why I didn't chose Eagle.

Last edited:
my vote for express pcb

I agree Eagle has a steep learning curve
I worked with it several times trying to figure it out.
It looks like a better program but learning it is another subject

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back