Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone know how to set off a police radar detector???

Status
Not open for further replies.

machavelli

My friend does alot of driving and he relies on his police radar detector. Is there a way I could set this off on command? I'll be in the same vehicle as him. Any info will help.

THANKS

Stick a potatoe in his car's exhaust pie. That will slow him down. :lol:

You'd probably have to transmit something within the 'window' of the detector and that the detector would think is a radar. In most cases a transmitter like this would be illegal to use most anywhere. Don't know if something like WiFy or other wireless stuff generates enough extra junk to bother a radar detector.

I've read that a simple Gunn diode will do this if the proper resonantor is applied. Appearantly those are used in a lot of motion detection systems like utomatic doors and high-end security systems. Note however, that --and here it comes, the obligatory legal warning; all together now...

"radar activators" are illegal in certain states. Check your state penal code.

...Now with that out of the way, I should add that I heard this many years ago from an unprofessional source. Also, the source mentions this only affects the X band equipment which would leave you out in the cold if your friend's detector is designed for the most popular K or Ka bands. Additionally, they cliam you have to be moving toward the radar detector because of a small bandwidth difference.

In a nutshell: the source is seedy, the technique is creud, but it's just about crazy enough to work under a blue moon.

You must really hate that friend

anyway it depend's what the police use
some olice officer's use Lite-r and some use ultra-sonic

it is kind of hard to do what you want unless you know what kind of radar system they are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back