Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anyone know about Data Comms?? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiestoallie

Hi there People thanks for taking the time to look at this Posting, I have an Assignment Due soon and I need some help.

The Question is

Draw a circuit diagram(Which is to be technically correct) of a serial transmission circuit that will transmit the following:
one start bit
Eight Data Bits
No Parity
One stop Bit

also draw a serial reception circuit:
one stop bit
Eight Data bits
No parity
One stop bit

Any help would be appreciated

iluvcok said:
check out the interface standards on RS232 or RS485 this may help
I don't think those standards will be much help since they talk about the physical layer and signaling. What would be really helpful is the block diagram of a UART. These are common peripherals on many microcontrollers. Troll the datasheets until you find a useful one.

The basic idea of a UART(Universal Asyncronous Receiver Transmitter) is that of parallel to serial conversion. Start by thinking of a ten bit shift register that will hold a start bit, eight data bits and a stop bit. Start bits are always equal to zero and stop bits are always equal to one. Once the shift register is loaded you have to make it shift ten times. There are lots of ways to do this including various kinds of counters, state machines and even another shift register.

Good Luck & Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back