Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone into ZigBee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squintz

Was wondering if any of you were interested in ZigBee and also wondering if you guys were going to be purchasing the $200 Demostration kit the Microchip is selling.

I have never actually programmed a PIC before but i have attempted it without sucess. Once the ZigBee products start hitting shelfs i might try to make something of my own to work with it. Im into Home Automation using HomeSeer and would like a devices that allows me to send RF ZigBee control commands to ZigBee Devices such as a light switch. Much like Z-wave (www.zen-sys.com) is doing already with their protocol.

Any of you into Home Automation?

i saw that on their site , but their price is a little steep for me anyways.
what happened with your preivious attempts at pic programming ??
why no success??

The reason i failed was because i did not have any projects to kep me motivated. I really wanted to learn so i bought a book and everything but flashing LED's just were not exciting enough to me.

I would still love to learn how to program the pics. I have a Pic programmer but i am not sure what it is capable of. I even have a few pics laying around that i got as free samples from MicroChip.

Any sugestions of some cool projects that might keep me interested?

Squintz said:
The reason i failed was because i did not have any projects to kep me motivated. I really wanted to learn so i bought a book and everything but flashing LED's just were not exciting enough to me.

I would still love to learn how to program the pics. I have a Pic programmer but i am not sure what it is capable of. I even have a few pics laying around that i got as free samples from MicroChip.

Any sugestions of some cool projects that might keep me interested?
How about a robot??
For me anyway , it was a rush when my program loaded .. then another rush when my program worked as planned.

I find myself facinated by the world of RF. Im not an expert by any means when it comes to RF but I do have some knowledge from the 2 years of college i have taken and 2 1/2 years of working with RF PCM Transmitters.

I am also facinated by the worldof USB. One project that i would like to make is an USB RF Transmitter. I guess you can see why i am interested in ZigBee. I am half tempted to buy one of the ZigBee kits but im not sure what i will gain from it. If i learn how to program with the ZigBee kit does that mean I will be able to program just about any PIC or is each one going to be a learning curve.

I have the book i bought a while back in front of me right now. Its called PIC Microcontroller Project Book by John Iovine. It teaches how to program the PIC16F84 using the Basic Language.

Back when i was attempting to learn i bought myself a few components to get me started.

Crystal (CQ4-0000) Not sure what crystal?
DIP Switches (Group of 4)
Dip Switches (Group of 2)
Voltage Regulators (UA7805C)
PIC16F877A-17P
PIC16F84A- I/P, 20/P, 20i/P, 04/P
PIC16F676-17P
PIC12F675
12C508A

Now i have not a clue what i have. I'm not familiar with what each one can do. I know i can goto microchips web page and look them up but even if i did that i still wouldnt understand what was possible for each one.

I was hoping that someone here would have bought one of the kits and would be able to help me learn if i also bought one. I'm sure the reading material for beginners is going to be nearly non existant when it comes to using ZigBee.

Anyone wanna take the plunge with me so im not alone :)

If you don't know what ZigBee is i will explain.
**broken link removed**

The goal of the ZigBee Alliance is to provide the consumer with ultimate flexibility, mobility, and ease of use by building wireless intelligence and capabilities into every day devices. ZigBee technology will be embedded in a wide range of products and applications across consumer, commercial, industrial and government markets worldwide. For the first time, companies will have a standards-based wireless platform optimized for the unique needs of remote monitoring and control applications, including simplicity, reliability, low-cost and low-power.

It uses a mesh network topography so that each device that is near by can act like a repeater. So i can use low power allowing for wireless devices to have small batteries that last a very long time. You will be able to monitor the status of everything in your house from your TV to your lights and even the tempature of your fridge and freezer. Pretty much whatever your little mind can think of. At the same time you could use Supporting software such as www.HomeSeer.com to control all of those devices from anywhere in the world via an internet connection or a simple telephone call.

I currently Automate my how with a technology similar to ZigBee but its not standard so its becomming a pain in the but everytime i want to add a new feature to my home. That technology is made by www,Zen-Sys.com and is called Z-wave. Zen-Sys was actually a part of the ZigBee alliance but droped out and started producing products before the IEEE Standard was in place. They thought that if they hit the market first that they could lead the market. They ae actually doing a fairl good job of it but its the Z-wave adopters such as www.Act-Solutions.com (HomePro) that are screwing up their name. Thats a long story ill save for another day.

If anyone is interested in learning more about home automation let me know and i will get you some information.

Also let me know if you are an experienced PIC programmer and are going to be buying a ZigBee Demostration kit. I'm not going to buy one unless i know i have someone else who can get me out of jams when i get in them.

**broken link removed**

just reading up on them, the pro version will transmit > 2,400 ft and only costs $32US, check out some range tests here:

**broken link removed**

and too top it off, picbasic example on how to interface with the modules:

**broken link removed**

and if range gives you a hardon, check this baby out(40 Miles)

**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:
Zigbee modules are pretty much done for you. They act like Hayes modems and some use the AT command set.

Here are $20 units you could hook up to a microcontroller.
http://www.maxstream.net/

If you've got a PIC or Atmel with comparators and you're interested in RF take a look at this Minimal Mass Wireless Coupler. It uses 2 resistor, a capacitor and a wire loop (plus your micros comparators).

http://www.cappels.org/dproj/minmassrf/Min_Mass_Wireless_Coupler.html

Of course programming and debugging it would be eaiser with an ICE ICD2 (like my Inchworm design shameless plug :p) A 16F88 has the debug mode ,a pair of comparators and a USART.

PS sadly if you stick with a language like BASIC on a PIC you'll never really discover the full potential of them. Assembler (a must if your serious) or C is the way to go.

Last edited:
Urban legend!!!

don't be afraid... C, Basic, Pascal, Assembler will work. If you know what you do, a good program in Basic work really well.

A mix of Basic and assembler is also possible.

I am doing thesis research in zigbee, but I believe in making things then only writing abt them.Thats y m working on implementing image recognition technique over zigbee.I know the limitations of zigbee for image transmission therefore trying to transmit only control data not image.I am new to programing part but like to do it myself so anybody can help me to learn basics of program code I dont have any idea abt it..what material or books i can refer for it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back