Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone here into Metal Detectors / Treasure Hunting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

I have 3 MD units at my house... one being a descriminator model, and another fairly nice unit made by Compass Electronics that also descriminates. I've had mixed results with these units, but still it's fun in the process. This past weekend I stumbled upon a Garrett Ultra GTA500 for a mere $5.00 US. It's a pricey unit when new (about $500). Has digital display, descrimination, waterproof coil, and other nice features. Owner replies in the detecting forums claim this detector to be a very worthy unit. Anyone know of any web links to a circuit diagram for the Garrett? I can't seen to find any so far. Thanks

I have 3 MD units at my house... one being a descriminator model, and another fairly nice unit made by Compass Electronics that also descriminates. I've had mixed results with these units, but still it's fun in the process. This past weekend I stumbled upon a Garrett Ultra GTA500 for a mere $5.00 US. It's a pricey unit when new (about $500). Has digital display, descrimination, waterproof coil, and other nice features. Owner replies in the detecting forums claim this detector to be a very worthy unit. Anyone know of any web links to a circuit diagram for the Garrett? I can't seen to find any so far. Thanks

I did a little research on commercial metal detectors ( google and forums) and the impression I got was that they are very proprietary and lots of hype between the major suppliers, I suspect getting circuit details would be fruitless and besides it's mostly designed in firmware these days with DsP chips I suspect.

Funny that there seems to be several suppliers but the price and profit margins seem very high for a modern consumer electronics product. I suspect some Chinese company could really clean up if they ever identified and targeted this market. Perhaps the volume of total sales isn't enough to benefit from more competition.

Larry

I think MDs are popular in the states because of events like the Civil War, Gold Rush, abandoned mining settlements and ghost towns that are locations known to produce relics to rare coins and valuable minerals. I believe only the very top shelf, pricey models may have firmware, otherwise those in the $600 and under are pulse induction, BFO, or VLF designs using IC chips and other semis. Yes they seem pricey for what they really are made of. Then again, it's a specialized niche market, R&D depts. need to make up for the large capital investment, and I sometimes wonder if mfgrs. actually think that if a customer is going to find some valuables, the proceeds from them would offset a needless extra cost tacked on just because!

I think MDs are popular in the states because of events like the Civil War, Gold Rush, abandoned mining settlements and ghost towns that are locations known to produce relics to rare coins and valuable minerals. I believe only the very top shelf, pricey models may have firmware, otherwise those in the $600 and under are pulse induction, BFO, or VLF designs using IC chips and other semis. Yes they seem pricey for what they really are made of. Then again, it's a specialized niche market, R&D depts. need to make up for the large capital investment, and I sometimes wonder if mfgrs. actually think that if a customer is going to find some valuables, the proceeds from them would offset a needless extra cost tacked on just because!
The most expensive one I know of, the **broken link removed**, is a pulse induction unit. The model number is the price in US$.:eek:
I have a GP3000, which was their top-of-the-line when I bought it. I also have an Explorer SE, also from Minelab, as well as a Fisher Goldbug II and an old Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro.
I am sure that most of the high end detectors have been reverse-engineered by other detector mfrs and perhaps some serious hackers and aftermarket accessory mfrs, but I doubt that anyone who has done it would be willing to part with schematics, unless you should happen across a generous hobbyist who doesn't have a profit motive.
**broken link removed** is a link to a Garrett forum.

Last edited:
Yeah I've been to the Garrett forum-- Garrett and White are old names in the trade, and their line has prolly been reversed engr'd by some. There are very expensive units out there for professional geologists and the like. they don't even look like standard detectors. Just a box you hang around the neck or shoulder and a ground loop. Very powerfull units-- capable of detecting items to 30 feet+ --- we are talking $5000 to $7000 US!!!!!

PI, VLF, BFO are all types of units with the PI prolly the current favorite, although the high performance VLF units hold their own quite well. The PI units descriminate a bit more accurately, or so it goes. The BFO units are toys for the most part-- too sensitive to false triggers, like wet grass!!

Check out Geotech & the forums for MD technology, but I know we don't have the GTA500 schematic.

- Carl

Been there already at GeoTech. Great website with tons of info. and despite all the resources there, no Ultra GTA schematic. Maybe I'll write Garrett to see if they supply them for a nominal fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back