Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone have a circuit for a handsfree for CB or ham radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry4911

I want to make a hands-free unit from my PC sound card to my radio or USB headset to radio.
A USB unit would be great as I have a very good USB headset that would be great used hands free.

So, any handsfree USB to two way radio circuits or pc to two way radio circuit would be what I want.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Google VOX circuits (Voice Operated Switch) and you should fine something.

Yes, you don't think I haven't done that before starting this thread.

Anyway, What I want is Basically what is used on stage. A wireless link to my radio or headset to PC to radio, via a standard headset, so I can listen and talk from anywhere in my house.The commercial ones are very expensive and besides I want to make it myself.
I could get a bluetooth dongle and headset. But I would still need to connect the PC to the radio via a vox unit somehow.

Larry

Bump.

Someone must have tried this in the past.
Has anyone any ideas please.

Larry

I want to make a hands-free unit from my PC sound card to my radio or USB headset to radio.
A USB unit would be great as I have a very good USB headset that would be great used hands free.

So, any handsfree USB to two way radio circuits or pc to two way radio circuit would be what I want.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

A person who talked in his/her sleep wanted to record what he/she said, so I hooked up one transistor feeding a retriggerable one-shot that would start a tape recorder on a sound.
I can scrounge up the schematic if you want.

In nine months of taping they got 30 seconds of conversation and none of what was recorded made sense to him/her once he/she was awake.

Last edited:
This would be great for a motorcycle headset, too. I adapted a standard CB to my bike because I couldn't see spending $800+ for one designed for a bike. I took apart the mic and moved the electret mic to the helmet, put a PTT on the handlebars and wired sound to speakers in the helmet. But the cord from the helmet to the radio takes a beating in the wind...I have had to resolder the wires a couple of times this year alone. The wind whipping the cord puts a lot of stress on the wires...along with, of course, forgetting to disconnect the cable when I walk away from the bike with my helmet still on.

So a wireless approach would be really, really nice. It wouldn't necessarily have to use VOX either...in my case, there's nothing wrong with having a push to talk (PTT) switch especially since wind noise is such an issue.

I bought a priority box from this site:
**broken link removed**
that does a really great job of handling feeds from various sources to my headset. Now if I could adapt bluetooth to the CB and have bluetooth stereo, I'd be in heaven. As far as I know, there are no CBs that use bluetooth to communicate with them from a bluetooth mic/headset.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Chilinski knows what I'm talking about. That's the idea. I suppose I could use a bog standard wireless headphones and a bog standard wireless microphone? But the mics are very expensive.

I just wondered. Just now.
Could I use a wireless headphones driven the other way round? You know! With the input as the output of a mic/pre amp to drive the transmitter and the output of the receiver (headphone circuit) to drive the mic input of the rig? That would work RIGHT? And I would have stereo mics too. Cool.

But I still have to key the rig. How do I do that?
Also I would have to make sure the two frequencies don't mix.

Larry

Last edited:
In fact there is an RF wireless headphones battery powered transmitter with built in mic, on ebay.

**broken link removed**

Anyone have any idea whats in one of these?
Anyone had any experience of these cheap things?

Larry

I'm really waiting to hear what is said by people who really know something about electronics.

In the meantime, I started to wonder if one could buy a set of those inexpensive family radios (you could probably pick them up at a yard sale for next to nothing) and adapt the circuitry in them to do this. There are enough channels from which to choose that you probably wouldn't have to worry about someone getting on the same channel...especially if you found one of the older models that had a really short tranmission distance.

Bump!

Damn! There are a lot of basic questions being asked on this forum. Have the people posting them never read a book on electronics. Get a good book on electronics is my advice.

Any help with this topic?

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back