Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone has a link for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexidewayz

Hi, I'm all about "green" and recycling and environement, since I think I make more than my part of poluting the Earth, with the main hobby I have chosen, AUTO RACING, so where ever else I can, I try to be as green as possible to tone down the guilt that burns inside me & in all of my 6 turbocharged cylinders.

So, to bring us back to the original topic of this tread.

Does anyone have a link to a website that would give lists of used devices, which would be more likely to contain this or that component that could be cannibalized, before it goes to waste???

I already started to disassemble everything I can find and having loads of fun with my new desoldering iron.

The best part is, I built an apartment in a "commercial" loft, so almost every other day, I find a broken photocopier, printer, screen, TV, radio, computer, you name it it'll get there if you are patient enough... + from now on, I'll keep every electronic module I replace at work and let me tell you, at BMW we replace LOADS of modules, as the cars is mainly composed of them.

Thanks again for taking time to answer all my basic questions, but rest assured that it'll only get better as I'm learning. I just can't wait to get started on that DMM kit, if it ever gets here.

Last edited:
Please let old junk rest in peace. Then manufacturers will make exciting new stuff.

HAHAHA! LOL, good one;), but still, I'd wish to save at least a bit of crap from going back in the ground...

+, FREE usable stuff should sound appealing to you Mr $crooge LOL.

I have some new/old electronic parts that I removed from electronic products and have many more products that I didn't open yet.

I only throw out latex paint that is in a rusty can.
I recycle almost everything else.

Checkout eBay for cheap junk that no one wants.

Hank Fletcher said:
Given your hobby, maybe you should try making one of these:
https://earthship.net/

Interesting, but it would kind of look awkward in the middle of Montreal LOL.

Hero999 said:
Checkout eBay for cheap junk that no one wants.
erosennin said:
Freecycle.
Non-profit organisation that provides a service for people to give away their stuff for free.

https://www.freecycle.org/

The link will let you search for a faction near you.

Thanks guys, but what I'm seeking is a site that would tell me that you can find a, lets say, "Johnson Counter IC 4017" in a "Panasonic model# xxxxx DVD player or things like that.

Anybody knows if such a website exists or paper publication???

Last edited:
alexidewayz said:
Thanks guys, but what I'm seeking is a site that would tell me that you can find a "Johnson Counter IC 4017" in a "Panasonic model# xxxxx DVD player or things like that.

Anybody knows if such a website exists or paper publication???

I wouldn't have thought so, but mostly you won't find anything like that in anything remotely modern.

The CD4017 is still quite common, even though these simple ICs have been replaces by microcontrollers they're still used as multiplexers on displays and other things so they probably crop up in all sorts of electronic equipment.

Hero999 said:
The CD4017 is still quite common, even though these simple ICs have been replaces by microcontrollers they're still used as multiplexers on displays and other things so they probably crop up in all sorts of electronic equipment.

Nothing domestic, or anything he's likely to come across though?.

Be rare to see one multiplexing a display, they have been driven directly from a single chip for years and years now.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Nothing domestic, or anything he's likely to come across though?.

Be rare to see one multiplexing a display, they have been driven directly from a single chip for years and years now.
You'd be surprised at what you might find.

I don't know about the CD4017 but I've seen plenty of odd CMOS ICs like quad NANDs and multivibrators in various things like SMPses and scanners. I suppose sometimes buying the next microcontroller or FPGA up in the range works out more expensive than adding some simple glue logic.

Hero999 said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
I wouldn't have thought so, but mostly you won't find anything like that in anything remotely modern.

Thanks guys, we're making progress here, but it's still not what I'm looking for.

I'm as newbie as newbie can be, I don't know anything (yet) about IC 4017 or any other counters, I only "cut & pasted" this part number for an example, I don't know what it's used for. I'm still reading & learning about resistors & transistors...

What I'm looking for is a website or software that would let me enter a part number like "CD4017" and it would give me a list of what particular device, from this or that company, will contain this component. Like a Panasonic television or futaba remote contol or Sony discman and so on.

This way, when I go to the pawn shop, e-bay or freecycle, I would know that an television of "X" brand contain the component I'm looking for.

I know it might be asking for much, but if it doesn't exist yet, I'll start taking notes of the part numbers of the devices I disassemble and what component i find in there.

Last edited:
alexidewayz said:
I know it might be asking for much, but if it doesn't exist yet, I'll start taking notes of the part numbers of the devices I disassemble and what component i find in there.

Like I said before, I wouldn't have thought so, and like I also said, it's extremely rare for any modern common domestic items to have any useful standard chips in them - main hope is a voltage regulator or two, such as 7805, 7812 and LM317.

If you can come across any old Grundig V2000 VCR's, they were stuffed full of useful IC's, opamps and logic chips all over the place.

Nigel Goodwin said:
If you can come across any old Grundig V2000 VCR's, they were stuffed full of useful IC's, opamps and logic chips all over the place.

We are getting closer...

Bob Scott said:
Google "CD4017"
Nigel Goodwin said:
Like I said before, I wouldn't have thought so, and like I also said, it's extremely rare for any modern common domestic items to have any useful standard chips in them - main hope is a voltage regulator or two, such as 7805, 7812 and LM317.

Please people, stop focusing on the part number itself, I don't even know what that part is, I just cut & pasted it from a text as an example.

I'm not looking for an CD4017

Let me rephrase my words here.

I'm looking for a software that would give me info. about "In what particular device", can I find this or that component. Kind of a database.

Let's say I'm working on a project (any project) and I happen to need a component (any component), it would be interesting to be able to enter the name of the component in a search engine and get a list of the devices that will, or are likely to, contain that component.

"EXAMPLE": I need a 555 timer or a 22K:eek:hm: resistor or a Zener diode rated at "x" Volts...

-You will find a 555 timer in "device" made by Toshiba or "device" made by Panasonic.

-You will find a 22K resistor in any television made by Sony.

-You will find a Zener rated at "X" Volts in "part number of device" made by Fuji...

I know a software like that probably doesn't exist, if this is the case I'll start working on keeping track of what component I find in what device and maybe I'll be able to write a nice Pdf with that info.

I you guys feel like joining in, feel free and post your findings here.

What would be nice to know:

-What is the manufacturer of the device.

-The name & serial number of the device

-Maybe, if available, the year the device was manufactured

-And finally, everything you find in there:
Ex.:
- 3x 22K resistors
- 2x green leds
- 1x red led
- 1x variable power transformer.
- You name it...

Last edited:
alexidewayz said:
Please people, stop focusing on the part number itself, I don't even know what that part is, I just cut & pasted it from a text as an example.

I'm not focusing on a specific part, like I keep saying, almost no general purpose IC's are used in most remotely modern domestic electronics. So you're not going to find any such list, nor create one.

Obviously you will find plenty of resistors, usually with the leads too short to be very useable, but most are now surface mount anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back