Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone else like assembly language?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that just means that you were the assembler as well as the coder ...

Yes, same for me - first coding was directly writing machine code, and then inputting it as HEX via a monitor in EPROM.

Like you say, it's still writing in assembler, just that you have to do the assembly yourself, it's calculating jumps that were the biggest problem :D

You must have missed my earlier post. :) I drew up custom spreadsheet like tables, with columns to hold the hex address opcodes etc and binary values and comments. Then photocopied them at work and did most of the coding in pencil.

hi Roman,
You could buy A4 preprinted paper pads for HEX code writing.
I think I have an old pad in the loft...

When I started working with A.P.E. automated programming equipment in the 1960's we didn't have the luxury of the high level 'hex'...:)

All the coding was done in binary and entered bit by bit, using front panel switches.
We eventually upgraded to 7 bit punched paper tape and in the 70's started using assembler programs.... wow.!!

Eric

Pre-printed hex paper? Aye luxury! ;)

Humour aside I never saw pre printed paper. It was fun though to design it suited for that processor with spaces for opcode operands and even accumulator contents etc. I guess it's a bit like designing your own assember IDE for the way you like to work with that micro, but it was on paper instead of on a PC screen.

Entering data in binary switches sucked. Although I do like those old 60's white and grey square paddle switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back