Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone else here addicted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who me?:rolleyes:.. No I'm not addicted, no not me... I can quit anytime I want.:D:p

I did my best with what I had to work with.
It seems it was not enough.

3v0

Note to 3v0, I saw this wreck coming a long time before you and it wasn't the posters that could prevent it.
Note to anyone who cares, yes, I'm still upset about the reprimand and it has caused more arguments (involving me) on this forum (and chat) than anything else.

No matter what Webster has to say about Nazis, this word was created by the Allies during WWII, similar to the word creations of "limies", "island apes", "amis" or "yankees"

Hitler's party was the NSDAP (National-Sozialistische-Deutsche-Arbeiter-Partei) and you'll not find any "Nazi" in that abbreveviation.

Later this word was used to discriminate Germans and much later it was used even against Germans being born after the year of 1985, also to discriminate them. (The winner takes it all and has it all, isn't it that way? Oops, I didn't realize Denmark won WWII!)

My son (1 1/2 years old) was victim of such an overemphasized (Nazischwein) verbal attack 1987, and the attacker was victim of my muscle attack right away, to prove that Nazis never die! (although I couln't possibly have been a Nazi born 1942)

Could have been any other father as well! Or not?

Boncuk

Boncuk, you're talking about a completely different usage of the word. I would never condone the use of the word nazi as a racist attack, but that was clearly not the way in which it was used.

As I have used certain words and will always do, what is generally intended by them is to make a light hearted but still meaning full poke or tease at someone in regards to a recent action they had done while diffusing tensions.

When I take a more defiant and often seen as careless and bold some what overbearing attitude about something I would not be one bit offended if someone from a different country and culture called me out as acting like an American. :eek:

I am proud to be an American but still my country does not have a spotless and shining record of proper diplomacy or general actions. So by saying stop acting like an American I would get what you are implying from how I may have acted. :eek:

If used without proper knowledge and familiarity of the culture and alliterations Every one of these would be dangerously negative and hurtful. However when familiar with the humorous intent behind them they instead showing a point but are intended to still leave everyone with a good humored laugh at what our heritages managed to get associated with at one time or another. So dont take any of these seriously. Someone will think your a lawyer.:p

Around my area heres what you could expect to hear in public in any place you ever go regardless of the mixed cultures and no one would likely take any offense but rather get a bit of a grin from hearing it instead. ;)

What a German. = Acting proud and stubborn and doesn't listen to reason.
What a Pollock = Acting dumb or stubborn and aparantly doesn't care.
What a Jew = Acting frugal and cheap to the point of it working against them self.
What a Nazi = taking non issues to seriously and imposing your will unjustly in regards to them.
What a Norwegian = Normally intelligent but did something very dumb.
What a Swede = Worked way to hard doing a simple thing.
What a Mexican = Works very hard one day and then avoids work the next.
Must be Irish = Tends to like to argue and fight can also drink heavy with little after effects.
Must be chinese. = Does very cheap, low quality work and a lot of it.
Typical Indian = Refers to expecting large compensation for something that didn't actually happen to them but someone else like them because they are now just lazy.
What Are you, 4? = Having a childish temper tantrum over something stupid.

If used without proper knowledge and familiarity of the culture and alliterations every one of these would be dangerously negative and hurtful. However when familiar with the humorous intent behind them they in stead show a point but still leave everyone with at good humored laugh at what our heritages managed to get associated with at one point in time or another.

Yea I said it twice just so you would be sure to get it! :)
And I have been called every one of these and far more, and worse as well, too many times to count.:D:D

So does any of this make whats often said right or wrong? Well that depends on how old your acting today!;)

I'm not going to debate if he or she should have got a reprimand, however I would like to clarify some things.

Pommie:
- You only got warned, you were let off.

Hero:
- This was the third offence
- When a post is created the original version gets emailed.
- It is not permant, the ban is for 30 days.

Please don't get me wrong, I like you both, I think you guys are an asset to this forum and I definitely would like to see you stay. But the rules are set for everyones benefit and they are definitely not as strict as other forums of similar size.

Ghosty_Ghoul: I turn a blind eye to the fact that people can create new accounts when being banned however, I can't when you come in and announce it..

Last edited:
I enjoy this forum very much, and it's unfortunate to see things degenerate like this. This is a great place to share and to learn. I fully agree with the way things are done here, very fair and casual. There is usually plenty of warning before any corrective action, some people just feel a need to test the borders, and see just how much they can get away with.

We are all guests here, and should respect our hosts, and their house. They provide a very clean and useful place to exchange our knowlege, thoughts, and ideas, and have a little fun in the process. We aren't being reprimanded for every little slight, just when it becomes a routine, or disrespectful of the forum.

The best part of this site, is the relaxed atmosphere. Not like in a classroom, or at work, it feels comfortable. We all sometime forget that we are guest here, forget to show the proper level of respect to our hosts, and fortunately they are very forgiving on these occasions. We just have to learn from our mistakes, and show a little better judgment in what we post.

The rules are simple and commonsense (I suspect, should read through them someday...), if you get a warning, you know you are pushing your luck. Depends on how important this forum is to you. Think Hero's unemployment, just left him with too much time on his hands, and a little bored. Maybe he'll spend his time building something great to share, when he returns.

Anyway, don't think it was his choice of words, but his disrespect that got him banned.

Anyway, don't think it was his choice of words, but his disrespect that got him banned.

Agreed, and I look forward to seeing him back. We must all learn to respect each other and the rules that govern any society.

Well, it looks like I'm hooked again.

I've spent most of my day here and made 50 posts rather than looking for a job or doing anything else.

I'm going to try to reduce the amount of time I spend and if it doesn't work, leave the forums until I find a job.

I guess then that Nigel's 29,400+ posts makes him a forum jumkie? ;)
If it makes some of you ETO addicts feel any better, try visiting forums dedicated to just flaming and bashing. The post counts there are astronomical in numbers.... something to the point that they are displayed in powers of 10!!!

Last edited:
Sorry man, I didn't read the whole thread. Man that sucks, I can definitely relate to employers misrepresenting the openings at the interview. Been there and done that. Hope you find the job you desire soon. I remain unemployed also.

I'm not doing a very good job of limiting my posting - today I've made 110 posts, sorry if most of them were rubbish. :(

I've looked through the pages of previous posts (which only go back 500 posts) and the eariliest is 15 February which means I've made 500 posts in the last 13 days which is over 38 per day and that's just this forum.

I'll see if I can limit the amount of time I spend on the computer.

Last edited:
Nigel is quiet a bit more steady and slow paced than the other heavy posters are. More of his posts contain actual content, rather than responses.

I'm not doing a very good job of limiting my posting - today I've made 110 posts, sorry if most of them were rubbish. :(

I'll see if I can limit the amount of time I spend on the computer.

hero,
IF you dont limit your computer time you will finish up with the IQ of a parsnip, that would be a sad and unnecessary waste of your talents.!

As you say MOST of those 500 posts are complete gibberish.

From a guy is old enough to be your Grandpa, my advice is to concentrate on your job search.
The longer you are out of work the harder its going to be getting a job.

Good Luck with your applications.

Regards

Now, the question remains, what maniac actually gave a parsnip an IQ test? :)

Now, the question remains, what maniac actually gave a parsnip an IQ test? :)

You can tell the IQ of a parsnip simply by observing its behaviour for a few seconds.:rolleyes:

No written test is required.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back