Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone elelse here colourblind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero999

Banned
Have you had problems identifiying the colour bands on resistors?

I've had no problems identifying colours even some of the finer shades. I find this quite strange because, apparrently I'm colourblind. I suffer from deuteranomaly, my green receptors are shifted to a slightly longer wavelength so something that looks yellow to you might appear slightly greenish to me.

Can anyone not identify the numbers in the spots on this website?

Interestingly for me it depends on how I view them. I can't identify the bottem left one on my TFT monitor (and the some of the others are hard to identify), but I can identify them all perfectly on a CRT or when printed on my work's top-notch laser printer and then it depended on whetether I viewed them under daylight or flourescent lighting. The one at the very bottom of the page looks like an eight, when the text says it should look like a two to a colourblind person. I know it just isn't the monitor because, my mother, father and sister all have normal colour vision and they can see them all even on the TFT monitor.

I've known about this for awhile but I've only investegated it recently when I was Googling for something and I read an article on colourblindness. I'm now concerned that I might not be able to get some jobs becuase they might test my colour vision as has been the experiance of some of the people on the Internet. The annoying thing is I have never had a problem with colours because I'm only very mildly colour defficient and according to Wikipedia some colour blind individuals are better at penetrating color camouflage. I don't know why, perhaps we compensate for it, or maybe I might be better at distinguishing between blue and green as my green receptors are a slighly longer wavelengh so the the difference between these colours might be more distinct.

Is anyone else here colourblind, if so is it a problem and have they had a problem getting a job because of it?

Yes. I do. I can only see 25 and 56 correctly (and that's not saying much since 56 can be seen whether red-green colour blind or not). I see 20 instead of 29 however...the rest appears as spots to me.

However, I doubt, that at a job somebody will hand you a giant box of mixed up resistors.

Last edited:
I am not colorblind. BUT ther is an error on the page linked.
The second test pattern incorrectly states the the pattern on the circle reveals the number 5 and colorblind see the number 2. This is incorrect as I see a 2 and not a 5. To prove it, I went to the site listed in the link at the page bottam and browsed thru their tests patterns. It has virtually the same in there and has both the 2 and 5 sequences which are correct.
Just some info for our colorblind friends.

Dialtone said:
The second test pattern incorrectly states the the pattern on the circle reveals the number 5 and colorblind see the number 2. This is incorrect as I see a 2 and not a 5. To prove it, I went to the site listed in the link at the page bottam and browsed thru their tests patterns. It has virtually the same in there and has both the 2 and 5 sequences which are correct.

Huh...okay. I was wondering about that since I saw a 5 instead of a 2. I guess I am still colour blind.

I passed them all so I can see color, just can not read things close to me anymore.

I went for 5 or S on the last one. But I did not see a 2.

Maybe we vote for resistors with darn numbers on them?

How about we just keep our resistors organized? I am wondeirng why we don't have numbers on resistors though. After all, ICs are full of numbers.

Dialtone said:
I suggest you get yourself tested, the last test is more sensitive than ths others to certain types of colourblindness, other people can see them all, even on the TFT monitor, have you asked someone else with normal colour vision preferably female?

Have you been tested before? these tests aren't 100% accurate and will depend on your monitor and the lighting conditions. I suspect you suffer from mild deuteranomily and you are just as colourblind as me. You probably don't have any problems as your colour vision is more than good enough for everyday life but you'll probably fail a strict colourblindness test and might have problems with getting certain jobs which I think is unfair.

dknguyen said:
Huh...okay. I was wondering about that since I saw a 5 instead of a 2.

That's interesting since I thought the last test is more sensitive than the others since I can pass them all but the last if I view them when printed. What type of colourblindness do you suffer from?

mramos1 said:
I passed them all so I can see color
A common misconception, I can see colour too, I might have a problem with some shades but I haven't had a problem before and if I ever need to make an exact colour match I'll ask someone with normal vision to help me. Very few people are completely colourblind most only have a problem with red and green and it affects men more than women. Blue/yellow colourblindness also exists and is as common in women as it is in men. Very vew peole are totally colourblind and most who are have other problems with their vision.

mramos1 said:
Maybe we vote for resistors with darn numbers on them?
Good idea!

dknguyen said:
How about we just keep our resistors organized?
I don't have a problem but if I'm ever in doubt I've always got my trusty DMM handy. The only time it might be a problem is if I'm repairing something and a resistor is slightly burned so the value read might be incorrect but anymone can have this problem and I'll just ask someone else to have a look.

dknguyen said:
I am wondeirng why we don't have numbers on resistors though. After all, ICs are full of numbers.
SMT resistors do. I suppose when resistors were first manufactured it was cheaper to put bands on them then print numbers. I have encountered resistors with incorrect colourbands on and no it wasn't just me (I asked a freind with normal colour vision to look) I suppose the person who loaded the machine with paint must've been colourblind!

Last edited:
Hero999 said:
SMT resistors do. I suppose when resistors were first manufactured it was cheaper to put bands on them then print numbers.

Older resistors didn't have bands - they had colour coding, but not using bands - if I remember correctly you read the colours 'body, spot, tip'. Even before those, I'm not sure how they were marked - but they weren't the first! - perhaps someone even older will remember?. However, it's VERY likely that there was no standard method!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
if I remember correctly you read the colours 'body, spot, tip'.

Nigel, you are not old enough! It is Body, Tip, Spot.

I have an old short wave receiver which was built in the 1950s which has those resistors in it.

JimB

I have some 10M resistors with the blue band painted in black by a colour-blind machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back