Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anybody here that buys fake stuff to impress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Got this spam today...**broken link removed**

Rolex have been around for ever and have consistently been at the forefront as far as precision timekeeping and reliability goes. Expensive yes, but an investment none the less.

These monkeys in the link above see me as a potential customer:mad:

Just my personal view as to rather saving for the real thing or buying the cheap bling copy.

Do you buy fake stuff?? No offence if you do....I would just wan't to know why.

Cheers,
TV Tech

Last edited:
I have bought those purely for humor. Those in the link are way overpriced also.

Several years ago I got together with old friends in NYC where we all grew up. The one guy brought along his two sons. The kids wanted to see Ellis Island in NYC so we went into the city and down to Battery Park to get the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The port area is crawling with what we call the "Hey Joes" as in Hey Joe, want to buy a watch. So the one kid is intrigued and wants to buy a fake Rolex. So I watch the kid bartering with this guy and we are laughing. The kid comes back with two fake Rolex watches he got the guy down to $25 USD on. I told the kid he over paid. We had a good laugh. When we got back I went to the same guy, I came back with 3 watches, for $20, handed them to the kid and told him that is how it is done. The guys hawking the stuff pay about $5 EA.

So humor, yes but I sure as hell would never wear the crap.

Ron

Fake stuff to impress!

My ex-wife had two (not watches) of them.

Last edited:
AH.. But I bet you were impressed......

I was a good investment in the long run, some other guy thought highly of them and decided to take her "off my hands" cheap. The price of a messy contested divorce would have been 10X more.

I was a good investment in the long run, some other guy thought highly of them and decided to take her "off my hands" cheap. The price of a messy contested divorce would have been 10X more.

It's been said that is why men like guns. Your old 44 never gets jealous when you get a new 22.

John

It's been said that is why men like guns. Your old 44 never gets jealous when you get a new 22.

John

I can relate to that. :)

Ron

Hi,

I'd consider buying one if they were lower priced. Not for the name but just to have a watch, assuming they worked well of course. But i like digital mostly anyway these days and just had to purchase a new one a month or two ago. Paid 20 dollars US for it at Target.
Previous watch i paid 6 dollars US for it at Wally Mart :) and that was more than five years ago. Would still use it too but it started losing 5 minutes per month and would beep for no reason because the alarm buttons were designed on top of the face where they are easily depressed when the watch rubs on just about anything anywhere anytime.
So far the new watch hasnt lost or gained any time really so it's good to go i guess. It's a big name watch too, "Casio" ha ha. Now you know you got a good watch when you see "Casio" on the front :)

I never buy. Did it just once.

Some 25 years ago I signed on at Incheon (Sotuh Korea). In downtown there was an under ground street with tens of small shops selling copies of clocks of any brand you could imagine. They looked good and were not expensive. I did not buy there.

More recently, I had a friend who insised in asking for a % of the money I was earning thanks to jobs he arranged for me. While that was nor more nor less than a joke I started to feel fed up with it.

Found my oportunity at the local "market" in Malabo (Guinea Ecuatorial) where they had some copies, that at glance, looked good. The one I choose was VERY heavy but made a good impression.

Had the satisfaction to see his face when he received the ROLES watch I had bought to him.

Last edited:
Hi,

Oh ha ha interesting idea there. Buy it for a friend and they think you've spent a fortune on them :)

Psychologists will tell you that trying to impress others is a sign that you have an inferiority complex. Why would you want to let others know that?

I once bought my Ex a fake diamond. She still has it......

Good one man. You know.....but she doesn't....good one ;);););):):)

Current lover decides to trade her in/do her in. Huge diamonds on her fingers etc....

Pawnshop says diamonds are worth squat ;)

Justice for all

Cheers,
TV Tech

Last edited:
tvt: No need to appologize, no need at all! However, for your atonement, send me some of the diamonds your country is known for and I'll send her some addional glass. If you can't do that, I have no objection to a case of that excellent wine (a Merlot would be fine) your country produces! E

tvt: No need to appologize, no need at all! However, for your atonement, send me some of the diamonds your country is known for and I'll send her some addional glass. If you can't do that, I have no objection to a case of that excellent wine (a Merlot would be fine) your country produces! E

No problem....fake wine and diamonds on their way to you :D:D:D

Cheers mate,
TV Tech

Psychologists will tell you that trying to impress others is a sign that you have an inferiority complex. Why would you want to let others know that?

Alec makes an interesting comment which to a point I agree with. A few years ago my wife and I were enjoying dinner at one of the areas better restaurants. A server accidentally spilled something (very little of it) on a man at an adjacent table. This guy went into a rage over it and I must have heard a dozen times how the "stupid server" spilled on his Armani Suit. He felt the need to stress Armani Suit over and over again like all around him should be impressed? I wasn't impressed. Matter of fact I saw this individual as (things I should not say in the forum) but you get the drift. I finally quietly looked at the gentleman (loose term) and asked if he would please shut up. The reason the waiter spilled on him was because he was the loud boisterous type. I am of Italian descent and we all know us Italians speak with our hands. This guy was loud, boisterous with arms flailing. Waiter approached from behind and bang! :)

Thank God he never got a cell phone call as I can only guess we would all have heard how important this person was.

I own three watches. One is a very nice gold (yes, real gold) retirement watch handed down to me by my father. Another is a very nice dress watch I wear on occasion that was a 20 year award from my company and finally my everyday $29 USD Timex I wear daily. I am on my third watch (all identical) of the Timex family.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back