Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any TO-92 p-channel equivalent to n-ch BS170 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedjazzgadgetz

Hi y'all !

I'm having great success with a simple little +/-7 volts "slow power-up/down" circuit but realized the n & p-ch power MOSFETS I picked for experimenting (cheap and plentyful IRF531 & IRF9531) are a tad overkill (I only need about 100-150mA, max) and bulky...

I subbed a small BS170 for the IRF531 (at 500mA/1.2ohm Rds-on, gets the job done just fine; and since the whole thing is housed in a small 1590B Hammond box, the TO-92 package shoor' is appreciated !) So I'd be looking into a "common-place" p-channel equivalent; any ideas :rolleyes: ?

See ya !
Joël

P.S.: could also be an altogether different n & p-channel pair... ? very low Rds-on... ? maybe a dual-matched package... ? IDK :confused: ! I'm really just waking up to the world of MOSFETs, so would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks a lot !

Last edited:
If you want a tool to find parts:
digikey.com
In the search window type MOSFET.
Click on FETs-Single.
(at this point there are only 39,000 MOSFETS) You can choose P or N, Logic level, voltage and current, package, etc.

You can use si2302 (sot23) if footprint of old component is triangular, by mounting the new smd on the solder side. you might consider 2N7000 as it is also N-channel device.

however si2302 is capable of delivering 1 amp.

Hey, there ! Thanks for the replies, guys !

mvs sarma : great tips about N-channel subs (those sot-23 do look interesting)... I'm actually looking for a P-channel MOSFET "complimentary" to the BS170... if that makes any sense ! (OR some other "matched" N & P-channel pair, maybe ?... )

ronsimpson : yeah, I did check, and amongst the 39 000 + FETs, only 1 (!) came up: LP0701N3 (P-channel/logic level/Rds-on 1.5 Ohm). Its unavailable ! but MOUSER has it; really unsure about it "matching" the BS170, 'though ?... I'll try and figure that out.

Needless to say: any & all thoughts/suggestions welcomed, of course.
There. I said it anyhow.

Bye for now,
Joël

Last edited:
BS250 is a PMOSFET in TO92 packlage. NDS356 is a p channel mosfet in sot23 and can manage to mount onthe pcb where BS250 is there by suitable positioning and i had done that. This device also can handle 1amp load with on resistance of few m Ohms

Last edited:
Great suggestions, there !

Thank you so much for taking the time to look into this, mvs sarma...
Much appreciated !

I'll check these out (as well as the LP0701N3) as soon as I can get my hands on them...

Joël

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back