Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

any suggestions for taking pics of pc boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

need to take some pics of my pc boards for PULSAR so I can get some free stuff.
the pics I took are not sharp enought. could be due to the fact they are scanned.

Attachments

• Capture5-23-2009-9.14.16 AM.jpg
    Capture5-23-2009-9.14.16 AM.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 191
He just said that they were scanned. Maybe a really high resolution picture?

Last edited:
My scanner defaults to a very low dpi setting of 30, try bumping it up. My scanner is capable of 1200X800 which once you zoom in is darn near like looking through a microscope. If your software and scanner supports higher settings this would be a good way to go.

If that's not an option you need a camera (preferably digital) that has a macro photography function. This may be they way to go, as I look at your photo I see the bright light form the scanner is interfering with clarity. With a camera you could get better control on the light.

Last edited:
I once used a scanner to copy PCB artwork from a kit board. Used some tracing paper to cut the reflection off the tin plated traces. Still had to do a ton of clean up work in PhotoPaint.

Really kind of depends on the purpose of the image... If you want to so off how well your board turned out, you need a camera. Use macro mode, no flash, and the 10 second timer with a tripod.

Make sure the paper is dead flat, use an iron if you have to. You can use image editing software like the GIMP or Photoshop if you have it to do threshold detection to turn it into a near perfect black and white image, then you just touch it up in paintbrush mode.

You're going to need to significantly increase the resolution though. 1200x800 is probably interpolated resolution you're generally better off. Depends on the thicknes of the traces on the board. 300dpi is about .003" minimum size

need to take some pics of my pc boards for PULSAR so I can get some free stuff.
the pics I took are not sharp enought. could be due to the fact they are scanned.

I've done some macro camera work, and depending on the lens, there will be significant barrel or pincushion distortion. Some Photoshop plugins however, will correct that distortion.
Additionally, the board plane must be absolutely perpendicular to the lens.

A dumb question, what is PULSAR?

The OP never really said he took the pictures with the scanner, or scanned some photographs he took with a camera.

Didn't state whether this is a board he already made, or wants to make.

Pulsar is a company, which makes toner-transfer products (here in Florida), and their paper works great for making PCB.

Regardless, sounds like Pulsar is running some sort of promotion. Would it be wrong to rush over to their site, and submit some photos of my own. Got some really nice ones from a couple years ago...

photos are boards I etched

should say scanned not photos.
boards were doneusing the PULSAR transfer system. WORKS VERY WELL.
iF YOU SEND THEM A HIGH QUALITY PHOTO OF YOUR PROJECT USING THEIR SYSTEM.

should say scanned not photos.
boards were doneusing the PULSAR transfer system. WORKS VERY WELL.
iF YOU SEND THEM A HIGH QUALITY PHOTO OF YOUR PROJECT USING THEIR SYSTEM.
Photograph, may not reproduce properly as it depends of positioning camera exactly parallel to surface of PCB. A scanner does it by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back