Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any PSP owners here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exo

Hi,

Are there any PSP owners here that updated their firmware to V2.0 with the webbrowser ?

If so, is the browser any good ? I currently got a V1.50 psp (wich can run homebrew 8) ), but if the browser is very good i think i'm going to buy a second psp so i can upgrade to V2.0 without losing the ability to run homebrew.

But i need to know the browser is any good before spending $$ again :?

I think I am going to wait until the 2.0 is release for North America ( Aug 12 supposedly ) and see if all the fuss is worth it. Of couse Sony says the Japan release is considered " unauthorised software, a warranty voider."

It will definitely bring some more life to my PSP having a decent ( hopefully) browser. I am a little disappointed with the software available. Movies, bah. More movies are hitting the shelves than games.

One other thing I am really looking forward to is some solid Linux on the PSP... now that I could really get into. Of course I would need a nice keyboard. The logic 3 device looks interesting, that is if it ever really ships.

Yes, There aren't that much good games yet, but the homebrew scene is redhot :) . I haven't bought a single game for mine yet, i've got my hands full with doom, quake and the nintendo emulator ports :lol: ...

The only problem is the firmwares, if i upgrade to V2.0 for the brower, i cant run any homebrew anymore (they closed the security leaks)...

Linux would be nice yeah, if they could rig it to run all games and homebrew and a browser 8)

My theory on Linux developement is that once a "critical mass" of the right people get their hands on a PSP with a keyboard, the dev crowd will go ape. It seems to me to be a really good platform for Linux. The other small devices so far are either lacking in power, or just don't have the interfaces available. I had hopes for some of the PDA's that were Linux based but they went proprietary, and to me that was the death of them.

I think Sony could have a great untapped market if it allowed more developement on the platform. Imagine network / server troubleshooting and configuration from your pocket, and wireless at that.... The price is lower than even half-decent used laptop, and far easier to carry around.

zevon8 said:
I think Sony could have a great untapped market if it allowed more developement on the platform. Imagine network / server troubleshooting and configuration from your pocket, and wireless at that.... The price is lower than even half-decent used laptop, and far easier to carry around.

The price is the reason sony doesnt allow development on it.
They sell PSP's at a loss (like any console). And they want to make profit from the games. But if everyone starts using their psp for homebrew or linux, they wont make profit...

at least, thats how i think it is :p

I agree, it is the old shaving razor marketing angle, make your money on the blades, not the razor. The problem I see right now is that there seems to be little devlopement by the game manufacturers either. If they don't get off the chamber pot soon, the kids are gonna get bored and walk away. The "fad" and first adopters can only generate so much money before you need to start keeping the interest alive.

I have seen this happen to the Palm market also, people are starting to move to Blackberries, since you get more out of one package, PIM, phone, email, etc. Palms started getting expensive to outfit with software, and the software available was beginning to go nowhere really. Many of the diehards are using 3rd party engineering software and other "niche" applications that, if were not available, the Palm would end up in a desk drawer.

8 days to version 2.0.... lets hope it is worth it... :D

Well, curiosity got the best of me :)
i got myself another psp and upgraded it to v2.0
( i know it voids warranty but we arent supposed to have psp's yet in europe anyway)
i'm writing this on the psp browser and its absolutely gr8 ;)
fancy that, handheld electro-tech :)

Exo said:
Well, curiosity got the best of me :)
i got myself another psp and upgraded it to v2.0
( i know it voids warranty but we arent supposed to have psp's yet in europe anyway)
i'm writing this on the psp browser and its absolutely gr8 ;)
fancy that, handheld electro-tech :)

Very nice! I will have to check it out now. I doubt I will run anything " non-approved " on mine, so if they have blocked homebrew, I can live with that. From what I have been reading in the past few days, Linux is quite a while away yet, So I guess I can go with the new security patches included in 2.0

I hope I can last a week! The curiosity is killing me now!! :D

It's definately worth it,it cant run flash yet but aside from that it opens every page i tried.
you can even download files to memorystick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back