Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

any possibility of reading an rs232 feed with a 10f200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

netmgr

any possibility of reading an rs232 feed with a 10f200?

i have a few of these chips and wondered if I could read an rs232 feed from a pc?

I did a search but I only found it on more advanced chips.

Excellent, but there seems to be an issue with receiving a continuous stream if I read that correctly?

so im really needing a more advanced chip with a buffer?

Im reading at 9600 bps, 8 data bits, Even parity, 1 stop bit

Excellent, but there seems to be an issue with receiving a continuous stream if I read that correctly?

so im really needing a more advanced chip with a buffer?

Im reading at 9600 bps, 8 data bits, Even parity, 1 stop bit

What are you wanting to do with the data?, and is it a continuous incoming stream?.

no its several characters. its basically a 1 wire communications bus with stuff on it all the time non stop

One way you might do it is to start processing the character after you've sampled the 8th data bit in the center of the bit. That leaves you with half of the 8th bit (about 50-usecs or 50 cycles) and the full stop bit (104-usecs or 104 cycles) to process the character before going back to wait for the next start bit.

The example is helpful but it's in ASM. Any chance to see an example of bit banged RS232 receiver in C? I have successfully managed to write an SPI receiver but that's too easy because the timing of SPI is simple. With RS232 there has to be reference to a timer and interrupt and that is where my retarded C skills fall short of figuring out how to do it :)

Thanks
~B

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back