Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any one able to find a clue.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe. I have often wondered. How many decimal places does NASA use for Pi?

What frightens me is how much computing power you need just to *use* that much accuracy. :eek:

Torben

Thats one damn big register lol :)

Hehe. I have often wondered. How many decimal places does NASA use for Pi?

Wikipedia said:
For example, a value truncated to 11 decimal places is accurate enough to calculate the circumference of the earth with a precision of a millimeter, and one truncated to 39 decimal places is sufficient to compute the circumference of any circle that fits in the observable universe to a precision comparable to the size of a hydrogen atom.

39 according to Wikipedia.

I thought one purpose of the calculation to so many digits was empirical validation that it was an irrational number.

A more important reason is probably the same motive that makes people climb mountains. John

39 according to Wikipedia.
Interesting, thanks :)

This just blows me away.
Also from Wiki: Relating to Pi

The Guinness-recognized record for remembered digits of π is 67,890 digits, held by Lu Chao, a 24-year-old graduate student from China. It took him 24 hours and 4 minutes to recite to the 67,890th decimal place of π without an error

My goodness, I have a hard enough time just remembering my phone number...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back