Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any issues using schottky in the place of Rectifier diode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mic5

For reverse voltage protection of 100V, I like to use schottky diode instead of ordinary rectifier diode.
Is it create any issue or any specifications more to see other than reverse voltage?

Schottky diodes have higher leakage than other diodes. There should be a graph on the data sheet showing leakage current verses forward voltage. A 100V diode will have major current flow at 50 volts.

watch the leakage current over temperature too. For example the PMEG parts from NXP are good at room temp, but reverse leakage gets to the mA range at high temperature. This is not just ambient temp, but the temp the diode will be operating at - including self heating. Apart from that, check the forward current rating and the reverse voltage rating. As long as these are in excess of your current part, you should be OK

Thanks for the reply.
Since the leakage current is the matter in design, I am concluded to not use schottky diode.
Here is the comparison for both diodes.

Schottky leakage current : 0.55 to 7mA
Rectifier I leakage current : 20 to 200uA

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back