Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven71ne

Hey everyone

Okay, so im taking these electronics class (analog, and digital) and i have to come up with some final project..

Well im thinking about making a underdash light kit for my car.

Ill have 1 bar of like 5-10 blue LED's on the drivers side, and 1 bar on the passenger (with a jumper cable going to each side)

What i kinda wanna do is use a 555 chip, so i can have different settings than it just light up.

(btw im also going to be tapping into my 12v cigerette lighter for power, and use part of the car frame as a ground)

Any idea how i could go about doing this? and any other ideas?

A 555 has an output that can turn on then turn off then turn on then turn off over and over. It would look as boring as steady on lights.

A 555 can drive a CD4017 sequencer then the LEDs will chase.

You might want to consider having a music input for your LED setup. I'm thinking that it might be interesting to take the music either directly from your car stereo, or perhaps from a small microphone, amplify it a bit and filter out everything but the low bass notes. Then put those bass notes into a trigger circuit that then restarts your LED chaser. The idea is that your LEDs either restart their chase sequence on each beat note or the LEDs simply light up briefly on each back beat. So the LEDs beat along with the music. Its a bit like the old colour organs we use to build, except that I'm only suggesting one channel.

wow thats a great idea!!! man i have no idea how i would go about doing that tho... lol

But the only thing i could consider, is it could go on vibration, i have 2 subs in my car and it moves the air in my car alot.

Though, im pretty sure if id just make it like you were talking about, it would be way more precise. If you wanna look at my head unit in my car, its a KAC-X591 (excelon) i dunno if that will tell you anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back