Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any ideas on a DIY EMP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieMopps

So, I've been building my anti War-of-the-machines/Zombie Apocalypse vehicle... It's got armor plating in the floor, a 6" lift, 33" tires, I specifically got an 89, there's less electromechanical stuff... (Don't want the robots to be able to zap my engine) Although it still has an ECU that I have to somehow shield.

I still have a lot to do... like figure out how to put some plating inside the doors yet still allow the windows to go up and down.

And it was recently brought to my attention that if robots were chasing me... an EMP would be a good defense. But for the life of me I can't think of how to do it. I know about the explosive kind... but I don't want a 1 shot deal. I want to be able to use it multiple times.

Here's what I have to work with: any automotive alternator. I have the skills to mount just about any alternator into the truck. In fact, I could mount more than one... I've seen it done. So I can get LARGE amperage @ 12volts.

I figure this is a last resort measure (the robots have caught us and are clinging to the truck) so it only has to have a range of about 5 feet.

(Yea I know this is silly, but humor me. The truck is my fun summer project and all my friends think it's hilarious that I have this mad-max thing sitting in my driveway)

of my truck... hrm...
None of the outside... It's not done yet... I could show you pictures of the axles and stuff.

It looks pretty normal from the outside... other than the lift and large tires. Oh, and I have 2"x6" steel tubing for bumpers that I welded airtight and use as airtanks. I disconnected the air conditioning and am using its compressor to fill the tanks so I can run airtools right off the truck.

That's a tough one. A robot destroying EMP would be like the pulse from a coin-shrinker, but to get it outside the vehicle not sure you're going to do it without explosives or be able to fit it inside the vehicle.

You could charge up a bunch of high-voltage caps and use a homemade doorknob thyratron to discharge them selectively through coils mounted around the car. Google "coin shrinker" and take a look at some of the setups for that.

I think far too many people watch SciFi on the TV and think it's real :D

Ah so true, I must say though a lot of those have inspired some neat inventions though, I hear the holo-deck isn't to far off.

Good luck on the truck Charlie, I wish I had an EMP for street lights, it's hard viewing through my telescope at night with a street light on each side of your yard. :(

Ted

Nigel's going to be the first to get it when the robot zombies take over. He probably doesn't have a shotgun loaded with Kosher salt or even a spool of duct tape.

That's a tough one. A robot destroying EMP would be like the pulse from a coin-shrinker, but to get it outside the vehicle not sure you're going to do it without explosives or be able to fit it inside the vehicle.

You could charge up a bunch of high-voltage caps and use a homemade doorknob thyratron to discharge them selectively through coils mounted around the car. Google "coin shrinker" and take a look at some of the setups for that.

Ok, I checked out the coin shrinker... That's supposed to be the non-explosive way? Are you nutz?

Ah so true, I must say though a lot of those have inspired some neat inventions though, I hear the holo-deck isn't to far off.

Good luck on the truck Charlie, I wish I had an EMP for street lights, it's hard viewing through my telescope at night with a street light on each side of your yard. :(

Ted

For that you just need a BB gun.

I'm asuming the the coil blows due to the resistance of the wire?
What if I used a coil of super conducting wire? I've seen it on the net and it's not all that hard for me to get liquid nitrogen. Would the magnetic field still form if it were flowing through a supper conductor? Be precise, I don't want liquid nitrogen flying all over my garage at 1000ft/sec

I'm asuming the the coil blows due to the resistance of the wire?
What if I used a coil of super conducting wire? I've seen it on the net and it's not all that hard for me to get liquid nitrogen. Would the magnetic field still form if it were flowing through a supper conductor? Be precise, I don't want liquid nitrogen flying all over my garage at 1000ft/sec

The only successful way of generating an EMP is to explode a thermo-nuclear device - there may be a few limited (and expensive) military non-nucear versions, but they are mostly science fiction.

Ok, I checked out the coin shrinker... That's supposed to be the non-explosive way? Are you nutz?

I'M nutz??? You're trying to defend against robot zombies WITHOUT using explosives and I'M the one who's nutz??? They are SO gonna eat your brains first!

I'M nutz??? You're trying to defend against robot zombies WITHOUT using explosives and I'M the one who's nutz??? They are SO gonna eat your brains first!

I'm thinking long term... I dont want to run out of ammo after the first week or 2. I need to survive for years.

May be better off with high voltage. Easier to generate, proven effective against zombie robots - ever see "Killdozer"?

The only successful way of generating an EMP is to explode a thermo-nuclear device - there may be a few limited (and expensive) military non-nucear versions, but they are mostly science fiction.

You obviously havn't seen the latest Maplin catalog.**broken link removed**

For that you just need a BB gun.

LOL, yeah they work well and are cheap. I stood out their one day when that happened and yelled Hey you kids what are you doing, I don't think the neighbor bought it though. :D

I have a few idea's (non destructive ones) that may work all I need now is a 27 foot ladder.

Ted

i have an idea... its just a theory but it seens logical from what u guys have said. if you make an electro magnet out of a pen case and foil around it and use a sillicon gelly to fill one end, then use 1 of the dischargers from a dissposible camera you may be able to creat a larg enuff feild to repell those robots...but youd have 2 use really good copper wire or you would blow the conection. im not at all sure, but its the only thing i got 4 u.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back