Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

any ideas? bass control

Status
Not open for further replies.

popcorn

I saw something in an electronics store and its a bass control passive filter and im curious in making a circuit like that.... does any one have a printed circuit lay out and parts used on this? it looks something like this one...

Attachments

• passive bass filter.jpg
    passive bass filter.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 203
@philba : yes i want this for my car to boost its bass effect can you suggest some of this parts and pcb to be used?

It won't do much if it is passive. It should be an active crossover network to work properly.
Most high power amplifiers for sub-woofers have an active crossover network built-in.

you won't get any boost using a passive. Look into a low pass active filter, or an equalizing filter that is tuneable for the band you're interested in.

no way I'm gonna help. the last thing I want is more of you wahoos blasting base in your car polluting MY ride... You aren't satisfied destroying your eardrums, you want to ruin my peace.

The illustration above shows a passive crossover control and when it is connected into the ampliifier, it could make active while letting the low pass frequencies pass through the amplifier and so that it can produce amplified low frequencies...and what am i trying to make is the passive low pass that has a gain and frequency control and the amplifier will do the amplification of its low frequencies. I already have the amplifier and i need to assemble the passive bass controller. Any ideas about this?

Last edited:
The passive bass control filter is probably just a pot in series with a capacitor to ground for each channel. Because the filter is just a single RC network, its response has a gradual high frequency cutoff and includes unwanted high frequencies.

A real active crossover network has a sharp highpass filter for the main amplifier and a sharp lowpass filter for the sub-woofer amplifier.

@audioguru: do you have a simple in series circuit which can cut high pass frequency so that the frequency that goes through the output of it will purely low frequencies? like for example, if we put a capacitor in parallel (+) to the (+) terminal of the speaker and (-) to the (-)terminal of the speaker , it will filter its high pass frequency going to the speakers and we merely hear through the speaker cone the bass only thus reducing the vocals and instruments in a music?

Last edited:
You don't make a lowpass filter by connecting a capacitor in parallel with a speaker. The capacitor would just be a short circuit to the amplifier for high frequencies and destroy the amplifier.

You take the music source from the radio or CD player, connect an adjustable resistor to it then it feeds an amplifier's input and feeds a capacitor to ground. The adjustable resistor feeding the capacitor to ground is a single RC passive lowpass filter. It passes most of the deep bass but not all of it, a lot of the upper bass, some of the mid-range and a little of the high frequencies. Because it is only a single stage it makes a very poor filter.

A pretty good active filter has 3 or 4 RC stages and has feedback. It has a flat response to all bass frequencies then sharply cuts-off higher frequencies.

@audioguru: ahhm ok i'll just try making it, and i hope there's also a simple circuit to which i can make as a pattern in assembling such a simple passive filter.

Build an active one, a passive one will be absolutely useless! - I'm also VERY doubtful the drawing you posted is passive, more likely it just doesn't show the power to it?.

... and once you accomplish the task of mucho basso, you should add a turbo resonator to your exhaust pipe.

HiTech said:
... and once you accomplish the task of mucho basso, you should add a turbo resonator to your exhaust pipe.
He might want to really bother people like North American motorcycles and big trucks do. He might remove the mufflers and have big straight pipes for the exhaust and noise. With flames coming out.
I mentioned North American motorcycles because Euro guys on these forums are talking about their bikes with their dinky little engines like on my lawnmower. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back