Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any idea what the power factor of this mains current waveform is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

..Hello,
..It is the mains current waveform into a simulation of a 10W flyback LED driver (mains voltage also shown)
Unfortunately, LTspice doesn't do power factor.

Attachments

• pow fac.jpg
    pow fac.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 435
Okay, here's a workaround I think will give you the answer. Since this states that for a switching power supply the "Apparent Power Factor = Real Power / (RMS Voltage x RMS Current)" we can calculate those from the waveforms. One waveform calculation LTspice can do is an RMS or average value Waveform Calculation (hold cursor over the waveform reference on the graph, hold down the CTRL key, and then left click).

So you find the RMS voltage V(in) Waveform Calculation and RMS current I(in) Waveform Calculation separately and multiply them together using a calculator to get the Apparent Power.

Next you do the graphic calculation (plot) of V(in) * I(in) and take the Waveform Calculation average of that to get the Real Power.

Finally use a calculator to divide this Real Power by the Apparent Power to get the Apparent Power Factor.

It's a little convoluted but it should work.

Note that V(in) and I(in) are the plotted source current and voltage,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back