Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any idea to adjust the friquency of particular Crystal???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

Hi, I cannot find fix value of crystal like 38KHz, 7.68MHz. But I got 10MHz, 12MHz so on. Can't I adjust or decrease the friquency of this crystal in fix Hz? Can I add capacitor in parallel to decrease the friquency?

A crystal's frequency can only be slightly changed by external components. Otherwise it wouldn't serve its purpose as a stable frequency source.

If you need stable frequencies different from that of available crystals you could use a frequency synthesizer which uses a crystal time-base.

Try Googling 'Phase Locked Loop'. This is a circuit that runs on a fixed value of crystal, but mutiplies the frequency up or down to provide a stable frequency that is a multiple of the reference crystal. At 10MHz, this should be quite easy to do. Pick a PLL that is near to the frequency you want as there are plenty that will handle GHz frequencies (and will be way too complicated)

In the past, amateur radio operators, and probably others, would lap the crystal after removing it from the holder - or they would pencil on some carbon. Most modern crystal containers/packages do not allow for this. I tend to find these old crystals at hamsfests - usually considered trash by some but I grab them if the price is right.

In the past, amateur radio operators, and probably others, would lap the crystal after removing it from the holder - or they would pencil on some carbon. Most modern crystal containers/packages do not allow for this. I tend to find these old crystals at hamsfests - usually considered trash by some but I grab them if the price is right.

Interesting. And I thought re-winding transformers was the epitome of resourcefulness! Nope. Lapping a crystal has to beat that. :)

I recall a ham adjusting xtal frequency by laping with fine scouring powder and kerosene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back