Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

any got or used a tektronix 2252 oscilloscope? any thoughts on theese?

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
i am off to auction again tommorow and i did well today selling off some the stuff i dont want like a scope i cant fix and got for free, there is a tek 2252 scope in the auction tommorow and if i am realy lucky i might be able to bid enough for it (dad dosnt think i will have enough) so anyone got one or used one? what are they like apart from realy sexy (dads words)?
how much would you pay for one in great condition?

I could be wrong on my assesment, but it's likly they have three problems:
1. The Hybrids U800, rings a bell fails; mounting fixes exist; An expensive bake process exists that MAY fix the hybrid. It's a collect and do the process every 6 months or so.
2. The SMT caps have to be replaced. It's suggested that if there are any sign of leakage to do it ASAP.
3. I can't remember if it's this series or not, but some +- markings are wrong on the silk screen.
4. DON'T operate them without the case without external cooling.

See https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope-teardown/ for a teardown of a similar scope in the series.

oooo thanks for that i will give it a miss unless super cheap

WELL.............. this is probaly not a sob storey and i am not allowed to tell lies (HUGE NO NO in our house!) so i will give you the facts and sit with my fingers crossed. i had a gould scope (thread on here) that broke and although i somehow managed to fix the PSU in it without a service manual (cant find one any where) the scope took 60v on all it's low voltage rails and it's fried completely. i sold it today at an auction but with full description of what was wrong.
not sure if that counts as a sob storey but the next bit is easy i can tell you exactly what it's for :D, i dable with pic's but my main interest at the moment is radio's and inductors especialy inductive coupling!! and maganatism, apart from my clock project wich has stalled cos at 12 i dont get much money and i cant work much as i have to study to get to college then university so i can become a engineer and get to do cool stuff. my other projects are a POV clock and display but i want to drive it by inductive coupling instead of using brushes or things like that to power the display and controller so a scope would be good for that. i also have a led cube that i want to put in a resin block and sit that on a inductive coupler and power it like that!! i think that would be realy neat and i havnt seen one like that.
i also want to make a magnet thing i am not sure what they are called that makes a ball bearing float, i was going to use a pic but i like opamps so i am going to do it all analogue if i can. then there is more basic stuff like reading books and trying out things in them so when i goto uni i will already know some things. as to what scope well i dont mind according to dad any scope is a good scope compared to no scope!! and i guess he is right, also he say's isnt polite to choose myself :D anyway thats my storey so far!! oh and the radio stuff is so that eventualy once i master crystal sets and fm radio i want to build my own ham set!! but thats gonna take a while

Those are really good prices (@tcmtech), but a bargain is only a bargain if it is what you need.

I have three 2235's (including a spare parts one) and a TDS210 that I picked up almost new for about $500. It has been at least 2 years since I turned on any of the 2235's.

I suggest thinking about what you really need. Will a TBS1000 series suffice? A lightly used TDS200 series might be in the same price range.

Your signature says you are 11 y.o. Can you imagine what will be available in 10 years? My advice is to buy your back-up or garage scope today and forget about a boat anchor that will be worthless in 10 years, assuming you can keep it running. Have you priced any CRT's lately?

John

i got to goto sleep now its realy late here and i dont want to get into trouble, see everyone tommorow!!!

BTW i am 12 now and will be 13 in july, i should chgange my sig it sounds grumpy and i am not grumpy. we do electronics at my school but its realy realy basic so i have to learn from here and books and the internet untill i can goto a university.

Hmm... What does your dad think about this deal?

As far as what one you may get that's up to you. I don't pick you do! :p

What does anyone else think about this?

Should I give LGM a scope for the cost of shipping? :confused:

It is a very generous offer you are making. I would gladly do the same if I had an extra to give.

Sounds like the Tek's are a bit of a problem then, glad I got a 100mhz phillips ex university for 90 quid.

I've a telequipment 'scope, me and 2 other telly engineers have tried and given up repairing it, I think its decided enough's enough.

LG if you look hard and wait long enough you can find some really nice high spec crt 'scopes for 20 - 30 quid.

I wish I had a scope and a load of test gear when I was 12, I had to make do with a poxy multimeter.

Maybe it all boils down to how much it will cost to bring it to UK. (Isn't Customs asking questions when you receive something like a scope from abroad?).

Not that I want to be a spoilsport but I think transportation costs would be over the top on a crt 'scope, prices vary a heck of a lot but laptops cost around 60 quid to post from the us, if you post them using a service that doesnt convert them to their seperate components.
A 'scope might be more, some go on weight, some on weight/size depending what service you use.

hi sorry i am late in posting but i didnt see the post and logan is away with the school on a field trip untill tommorow. its a very kind offer however the cost to post and import duty would be high, however i do infact have a old but very good wayne kerr (love that name, his parents had a sense of humour) 100Mhz analogue scope that was the first scope i got, he can have that, he might then leave mine alone lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back