Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any electronics technician??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already ordered a replacement power supply but this is likely repairable and is about 30 years old.

I took a few pictures just to show type of components and type of technology.

I think it could be worth repairing if I knew what went out.

I didn’t see any burnt foil, components, and tested rectifier but that’s about it.

I did have to resolder the big round coil in the middle legs in.They worked their way loose after years of normal wear and tear, but it worked again after solder cracked joints.

It didn’t hit me until now that may be more joints are cracked over the years.The big coil is heavy and tall so movements over the years cracked the solder joint I’m guessing.

I don’t know a lot but I know there’s an AC and a DC side and I think that’s a transformer next to those two big caps.

If I wanted to eliminate major parts what components or is there parts to test first.

The parts are all easy to solder.No micro chips or diodes.No tweezers and scopes needed.

Any suggestions on what parts or pads to check first powered up?

Last edited:
It didn’t hit me until now that maybe more joints are cracked over the years.The big coil is heavy and tall so movements over the years cracked the solder joint I’m guessing.

If they have been hand resoldered properly, they should never fail again - but to make it even stronger, use high melting point solder. Dry joints on transformer pins is a common occurrence on flow soldered boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back