Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

any alternative to the spot face cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

does anybody know about an alternative to the spot face cutter. actually this tool is hard to find in my city and i have to make a circuit on a stripboard. in the past i used a common paper cutter to cut the tracks. but cutting the tracks that way makes the board look ugly. ive seen pictures of stripboards whose tracks are cut with the spot face cutter and the look really neat. actually i have to show someone my circuit so thats why i want it to be neat and clean.

someone told me that a drill bit might do the work. has anyone tried this. and which bit size is right

samcheetah said:
someone told me that a drill bit might do the work. has anyone tried this. and which bit size is right

Yes, you can use a drill bit, but it's a lot harder to use than a proper cutter (and it gives you sore fingers), pick one slightly wider than the tracks.

someone told me that a drill bit might do the work. has anyone tried this. and which bit size is right[/quote]

I use a 4.0 mm drill bit just for vero board and as long as the bit is keen you will not get sore fingers as the copper is very soft.[Keep the bit one side and dont use it to drill anything else and it will last you many years]

OH.. and if your fingers are still not up to it, you can purchase a jewelers screwdriver [the type where the spare bits fit into the handle] ,you then grind a flat edge on your drill bit [this locks it in place] and whalla....now you can use your whole hand.Hope this helps.....anyway its a cheap alternative.

my method:

BEFORE soldering (!) make the cuts in the track using a 6mm drill bit. Choose a metal work bit with a fairly flat tip. Put it in a hand drill. Use the hole in the board as a guide and make a few turns. This should remove enough copper. Then if there is any copper left, scrape it of with a stanley knife/razor blade.

Tim

If I understand what you are trying to do correctly (my machining background) it seems that you could make your own tool. While crude it might be sufficient.

I gather it has to be pretty small. Can you find some small steel, stainless steel tubing, spacer, etc that has an outside diameter that is the desired size of the 'spot'. File, with a jeweler's file, two, three or 4 teeth. What you are machining is soft so I don't think shape is too critical.

To center the tool insert a pin - made from a broken drill bit, piano wire, etc - that is small enough to fit into the hole in the board and the tube/spacer. Epoxy, solder or braze in place. Won't be perfect but it might work.

An alternative is to grind the end of a drill bit down, that is the size of the desired spot face, so that the end becomes the pilot. On a large scale that's doable - quite the challenge at this size unless you know someone with a mini-lathe.

Hi you may not be able to find this in your area either, but.. I use what's called a "brad-point" drill bit. It looks like a normal drill except that the end has been turned down to a smaller diameter, and pointed. It is used to make starting the drill easier and more accurate. They are available in places that sell woodworking or even metal working places. You may also try to get a pilot drill, similar but mostly used for metal work.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page=42261&category=1,180,42240

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back