Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anti static protection and earthing requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostman11

First off i dont normaly take anti static precautions other than touching the radiator once in a while! but i have a fair few MOSFETS coming soon that i need for a project. and i seem to be the kiss of death for MOSFETS, i am aware i seem to carry around a rather large static charge with me. so its probally time to get a anti static mat and wrist band.
now my question is the earth connection to the plugs in the workshop isnt the worlds best so is it ok to drive a metal rod into the ground outside the workshop and attach the earthing lead from the anti static mat etc to that?
many thanks chaps

hi Jason,
Get a metre long piece of copper 15mm water pipe, you can either put a bolt thru it or solder on the end of your Earth connecting cable.[preferred solder]

Choose an area of ground thats usually damp and drive the pipe into the soil upto most of its length.

DON'T forget at the workshop end have a a 100K thru 470K resistor in series with the grounding wire, also a wear a wrist strap, with a series resistor.

Nylon carpets and nylon clothing can cause a static charge to build up on your body... if required you can buy an aerosol for spraying carpets.

If all that fails, you can stand with one foot in a bucket of damp sand, just kidding.:p

Hi Ya Ghostman, we beat that subject to death in a thread that can be found here. There is some good information if you dig through everything. However, in the best interest of simplicity and sanity just do as Eric suggest.

Nylon carpets and nylon clothing can cause a static charge to build up on your body... if required you can buy an aerosol for spraying carpets.

Just work buck naked! :)

Ron

Oh the horror! The picture, the picture. It's in my head!

I wrote an article for the AAC text book on static control a long while back. They didn't have one, and I saw the need.

ElectroStatic Discharge

First off i dont normaly take anti static precautions other than touching the radiator once in a while! but i have a fair few MOSFETS coming soon that i need for a project. and i seem to be the kiss of death for MOSFETS, i am aware i seem to carry around a rather large static charge with me. so its probally time to get a anti static mat and wrist band.
now my question is the earth connection to the plugs in the workshop isnt the worlds best so is it ok to drive a metal rod into the ground outside the workshop and attach the earthing lead from the anti static mat etc to that?
many thanks chaps

As you're only discharging a tiny static change (and through high value resistors at that) then you don't need a particularly good earth - only for safety reasons (in an earthed environment).

cheers chaps! i dont have copper so ive opted for 10' of Rebar, as for wet patch of ground............erm we have no shortage of wet ground here!! working naked would of been an option 20+ years ago but i cant risk catching a glimpse of my reflection in a shiny surface!!! all seems straightforward so i will get it done at the weekend. i will also read the links provided i do like a good read :D
i should have sorted something like this out long ago but been too lazy to do it!! but MOSFETS are getting exspensive :D:D

Why mosfets are very expensive than transistors?

Why mosfets are very expensive than transistors?

You should really start a new thread with your question. This old thread was about anti static protection and earthing requirements.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back