Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anti-static foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

George L.

Hello,

I have just ordered CMOS chips from electronics express as well as mouser. The chips come on a black foam which is conductive. I'm pretty sure it protects the chips from static and pins being bent. Is it completely safe to touch the chips even if i have a lot of charge as long as they are on the foam? They can't "break" if they are on the foam right?

thanks,

George L.

Youre right about the extra care that youre supposed to give CMOS chips regarding static electricity damage. Although my plastic bins, carpeting, CRT's, etc are good sources of static, Ive never damaged one (yet!), even though I dont give them any special care. Many chips have built in static protection diodes anyway.

If you bend a lead on a chip, they can be successfully straightened with a gentle hand and a small needle nose pliers. There is also a tool made specifically for straightening bent pins.

I worked for a company in the 80's and 90's, if you did not have on a ground strap on the production floor, it was grounds for termination on the spot (they were on our shoes and we had conductive carpet). We were in Florida, the humidity is high here and we had a plant in Puerto Rico too, so static is rare.. Main office Kanata, Canada (cold and dry) lots of static..

Anyway, it is better to be careful, but I never blow them either (like hyedenny said), BUT I out of habit, touch the metal case of something plugged in with a ground, like the back of a PC power supply to discharge myself or the ground on my scope.

The static electricity can weaken the chips (blows little holes in the junctions and material inside), and the chip CAN fail sooner than it was designed. Much sooner in some cases. At least all the pictures we had on the walls showed that.

And hey, I would not want to be on some wild rollercoaster ride in Orlando and find this out.

So, if hobby stuff, your call. Work for a mass production company, they do not want boards back or failing (especially if under warranty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back