Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anti aliasing filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syafiq

What is the anti-aliasing filter used for? How does it operate? I am doing a project on switch capacitor filter, and I believe that I have to "combine" it with the anti-aliasing filter for __?__ reasons. Thanks!

Hi,

That's a filter used to prevent unwanted signals from reaching the digital part of the circuit. Some frequencies could align with the switching frequency of the switching filter, which would mean the switching filter would not work correctly on those signals.
The filter is used to limit the bandwidth so that never happens. That way any signals that reach the switching filter are within the right range that it can work with.
Switching filters assume a certain degree of signal smoothness at the input.

Hi,

That's a filter used to prevent unwanted signals from reaching the digital part of the circuit. Some frequencies could align with the switching frequency of the switching filter, which would mean the switching filter would not work correctly on those signals.
The filter is used to limit the bandwidth so that never happens. That way any signals that reach the switching filter are within the right range that it can work with.
Switching filters assume a certain degree of signal smoothness at the input.
Thanks for the reply! May I ask, if it's similar to the operation of a decoupling capacitor? Thanks.

No, a decoupling caps purpose is to prevent dc from entering a part of a circuit where you dont want it, for example on an audio a to d you only want audio not dc so you'd use a decoupling cap.
Sometimes it might be possible to combine the decoupling cap with the first cap of a high pass filter.

A sampling circuit, such as a switched-capacitor, will alias any signal frequencies above 1/2 the sample frequency into a lower frequency and appear as noise in the signal. Thus you need to use a filter to attenuate any signal frequencies above 1/2 the sample frequency. The degree of filtering required depends upon the level and frequency of any signal/noise components that are above 1/2 the signal frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back