Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rewguy

I am having difficulty with a couple of antennas that I purchased. I am using a 315 MHz ASK RF receiver and transmitter from Laipac. If I use a piece of wire (~23 cm in length) as an antenna on both the transmitter and the receiver, the range is decent. However, when I replace either the receiver, the transmitter, or both antennas with a permanent, quarter wave 315 MHz LP antenna from LINX, I get no reception at all. Does this have to do with how far I place the antenna from the receiver / transmitter module? Right now both are in my breadboard with a piece of wire ~.5 inch long.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Andrew

If I had to guess I'd say that the problem was because you are using a bread board. Bread boards have extra capacitance in the interconnects. RF stuff is fairly sensitive to small changes in the impedance of the circuit - a little bit of extra capacitance would be enough to throw it off. Why the wire works is beyond me - might just be luck. In general the closer the connector is to the RF output the better.

Hope this helps
Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back