Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another servo question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakie

I know this isn't exactly an electronics question... but I figured someone might know the answer anyway....

Some servo software (Aldebaran, for example) allows servos to be moved manually, and then their position is pulled by a computer allowing the same position to be sent at a later date.

Can I do this with HS-5645MG?

The examples I have seen all used analog servos. The 5645 is digital. As I understand it, programs such as you mention are detecting the potentiometer position. Since that aspect is shared by both digital and analog, I suspect a digital servo will also work with that program.

Digital servos are much more susceptible to jitter than analog ones are. For example, simple 555-based servo drivers don't work very well with digital servos. So, the program may work, but you may see a lot more jitter.

Please let us know what happens.

John

Last edited:
Note that a modification **broken link removed** is the potentiometer is left outside the servo.

That potentiometer is your position. Can you de-couple it? Who knows. It could just be a divided and buffered reference voltage.

Most, if not all "indirect drive" servos should allow that modification for continuous rotation.

The function referred to by beakie has been mentioned by robotics people as a way of capturing servo positions for complex movements. Here is a thread on it: https://www.edaboard.com/thread215058.html

The last post (post #14) is particularly interesting.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back