Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another RF curiousity

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

Hello, I read in one of my books that a change in the amplitude of an input signal will change the frequency of an RF oscillator. But it never explained what a change in frequency of an input signal will do to the oscillator output. Please 2 be explaining :D Thanx so much :lol:

The actual process is called Frequency Modulation (FM). Essentially, a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO) is used. The value of a signal is then encoded in the frequency of the FM signal.
If you want to know why this is done, you'll have to know a host of other concepts ie signal spectrums, fourier transforms, bandwidth etc. This forms the integral part of communications theory.
I'll try to give a summarised version. In the wireless domain, bandwidth is a premium, hence signals are always manipulated to be confined within their allocated bandwidths. In FM, this is precisely what is being done. The signal is "modulated" to occupy a small range of the frequency spectrum, ie its bandwidth.

so what youre saying is that the bandwith of the FM signal is controlled by the frequency of the input signal, and the frequency deviation is controlled by the amplitude of the signal. Ive been studying quite a bit about radio n stuff like that that you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back