Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another ICSP programming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGCB

When using Pickit 3 and ICSP I always get the message

Device mismatch
Target device ID (0000 0000) does not match expected device ID (0000 07E0)

It does not seem to affect anything but seems it shouldn't be there
Why does this message appear? Is there something I should have set differently or am I doing something wrong? Thanks Aaron

It's not reading back the device ID from the target (hence 0000 0000), considering your other thread it sounds like you've got something wrong in how it's connected, stopping the programmer accessing programming mode.

In MPLAB, under Programmer>settings>program memory there are choices. I have it set to
Allow pickit 3 to select memorys and ranges
Erace all befor program
Is this eracing something that shouldn't be?

edit: I.E is there memory that should remain in the chip at all times even when being reprogrammed?

Last edited:
I would first verify that you can fully erase the PIC. Maybe using pickit3.exe instead of MPLAB.

When I do an erase and then bkank check, the blank check fails.

I can't find pickit3.exe

I've had that happen with the pickit2 and a 18f1220 my favorite chip and it always was because the data and clock lines where hooked up to a LCD and it was holding them from changing state. But it would program and not verify.

If you have not, try to program the chip by it's self.

I tried a new chip (same kind) in a different programmer and it worked. Then put the original chip in same programmer and it could not find device. Apparently the 18F1220 has been corrupted or destroyed. But as I stated in the original post, nothing was changed but the program.
I'll try erasing the chip in the stand alone programmer and then programming it on target w/ ICSP

AGCB don't throw the chip out put it a a solderless bread board and hook it up for programming and blank it.

Read this
Known Issues:
-------------
> Device auto-detect is not yet functional, but the device ID is
verified (if the device has one) before all operations.

> Some text in the status message box falls off the edge of the box and
cannot be read.

> The "Blank Check" feature can frequently indicate that a blank device is
not blank. Typically this is due to a configuration word mismatch in the
device file. There is no work-around, but manually verifying the
configuration values as "blank" is possible by reading the device.

> The Checksum calculation is not fully tested yet and may not match MPLAB
in all cases.

> A "No target device found" error is sometimes shown after switching or
updating the AP. Simply retry the operation.

> The application can have problems communicating to the PICkit 3 if the
AP or RS is corrupt (say, from an interrupted transfer). The easiest
work-around is to use MPLAB to re-flash the programmer with the latest
version of the firmware ("Manual Download" in the programmer settings).
This manifests itself as trouble connecting to the PICkit 3 or, in the
worst cases, application crashes.

> The application cannot recover a PICkit 3 that has only the bootloader
AP installed. This is not a normal occurance; it can only happen if
there is a write failure during certain parts of the firmware upgrade
process. Use MPLAB to recover the firmware to a consistent state.

> The application will sometimes not launch with the PICkit 3 connected.
Disconnecting the PICkit 3 should cause the application to show.

Known quirks:
-------------
> Turning off target power supplied by the PICkit 3 can take a noticable
amount of time under some circumstances. Two work-arounds exist: Supply
target power externally, or manually enable target power from the PICkit
3 before an operation so that it is not automatically disabled
afterwards.

> The "Blank Check" feature does not update the progress bar.

I have had that problem a few times with the PK2, and it turned out that either I had the connections wrong, or I had a load on the PGC and/or PGD pins. As be80be said, try placing the chip on a solderless breadboard with only the most basic ICSP connections. Don't connect the load or anything yet. Then try programming the chip and see if you get the same error. I am almost willing to bet that it would work if you do that. All you need to do is connect MCLR, V+, V-, PGC, and PGD between the PK3 and the chip. Make sure you connect the MCLR pin to both the PK3 AND to V+, through a resistor and/or a small diode. Also remember the .01uF bypass cap between V+ and V-. Try that, and let us know what happens.

Good luck!
Der Strom

I tried a new chip (same kind) in a different programmer and it worked. Then put the original chip in same programmer and it could not find device. Apparently the 18F1220 has been corrupted or destroyed. But as I stated in the original post, nothing was changed but the program.
I'll try erasing the chip in the stand alone programmer and then programming it on target w/ ICSP

How about calling it a dead chip and replacing it ??? $3.20 isnt too much

EDIT: I say this mainly because if its going to cause problems now ... even if you fix it... you might run into more issues later on.

Last edited:
How about calling it a dead chip and replacing it ??? $3.20 isnt too much

EDIT: I say this mainly because if its going to cause problems now ... even if you fix it... you might run into more issues later on.

But it may not even be broken. I definitely wouldn't throw it out until the OP does a bit more testing. Why get rid of a chip that might be perfectly fine?

Atom you could throw away more then you'ld want to buy.

The pickit3 still has bugs like what the OP said is happening, And it could be loading of the data and clock lines.
Like a hardware problem. Or like me some times I think i don't need glasses and have crossed the pgd with pgc.

I had a whole tube of chips not verify and it was the LCD was on portB I put jumpers on the program
data and clock lines and all was good.

I learned a long time ago never think there can't be something wrong with the hardware.
And don't jump in and think the PIC is bad. Go over the hardware and the code and
Most times the the PIC will come alive.

He clearly stated that he tested another chip with the same setup and it worked. Then he tried the original and it doesnt. Sounds like a chip gone bad. So with that said, the chip is obviously not "perfectly fine"

Burt, i understand since i also have the pickit 3, but since i do own a PICKIT 2 also i can test further. I never use the PGC lines for anything other than programming unless i use Through Hole or Solder Jumpers to connect the other device afterwards. I got a PIC here and for no apparent reason it gets hot enough to burn me. So i still have it but clearly marked bad...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back